cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new iPhone XR & SIM, cannot receive text messages

GabRB26DETT
I'm a participant level 2

Hey all, about 2-3 weeks ago, I got an iPhone XR, got a SIM, both from Fido. I ported-in my number a couple of days later. 

I do not really send text messages so I didn’t notice straight away. But I cannot receive 90% of the text messages that are sent to me. 

iMessages seem to be working. 

it’s intermittent because I had a friend with his Android phone, who is in my contacts send me a test message, worked perfectly. Had two other friends and my brother send me a test message, nothing at all. 

They ALL receive my messages. The problem only comes down to RECEIVING. 

Here is what I have tried so far because I did read many posts about this here : 

- Soft reboot of my phone

- Hard reboot of my phone

- Re-insert my SIM

- Checker If VoLTE is turned on, it is. 
- I live in Montreal, so signal is absolutely not an issue, it is always full when testing. 

Any clues as to what it might be ? 

4 REPLIES 4

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi GabRB26DETT

first quit the messaging app then reload.

Force close all apps 

1. Navigate to the Home screen.
  2. Swipe your finger up and then pause.
  3. Swipe right or left to find your messaging app preview.
  4. Then swipe up on the app’s preview to close it.

Close all apps in the background.

Make sure you have the latest updates.

I hope it helps you ..

Let us know how that goes.

Congrats on your new setup!

Scooby

GabRB26DETT

I’ll have to call and speak with them. 

I made a test with two phones. 

1. My phone, my SIM

2. Another Fido phone, his SIM

I do not receive any SMS with my phone and my SIM. 

Phone 2 receives my messages though. 

if I put the SIM from phone 2 in MY phone, I can receive SMS without a problem but phone 2 with MY SIM, receive none. 

I then tried MY SIM inside of a third phone, which was not able to receive messages using it.

So using that, I isolated to the problem being either from my SIM, or something on my plan/account messing things up, instead of the problem being my phone.

Hello @GabRB26DETT,

Try turning off VoLTE and see if it still happens.

Since you put your SIM in another phone and can replicate the problem it does sound like its either SIM related or something on your account was not setup correctly. I would first try contact customer service and have them review your account to ensure everything is good. 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @GabRB26DETT thanks for your following up.  

You're right, it looks like SIM related.

If you want to use your new phone with your new SIM it must be activated as such;

Speak with customer service and you can also refer to this link about new SIM activation

---> How to activate my new SIM from @FidoNick on Fido community.

1.Old SIM 

Your old SIM is ok, it is still active but associated with your old phone device still. If you take your old Sim and move it in any other device activated with another provider that associates the same phone number it still works as your New phone device associates old SIM data by the number associated. That's because having a new phone doesn't prevent you from using your old phone old SIM (or new phone old SIM).

2. New SIM must be setup with your new phone. Depending on your plan Prepaid or Monthly the new SIM setup procedure is different. Prepaid is activated in store only. Monthly plan you can activate in your Fido My Account or by calling customer service.

Cheers!