cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit as a long time customer???

howardsiu
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

My contract is up this coming month and I saw that the new pricing model for all the phone no advantage to be a customer in Fido at all. Upfront payment and monthly payment end up to be the same as buying it from Samsung my self. Are there any other different plan available? This new pricing model doesn't make any sense to me. Why would I stay with Fido when I can buy the phone myself and sign with another company for $40? 

6 REPLIES 6

Esha1984
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I was quite certain...like 100% certain...that last time I spoke with management at Head Office, I was told that NO ONE who gas a current Fido plan that is coming up for renewal has to give up their old "grandfather(ed) plan".

Now, I know for myself that some representatives in the stores, and on the phones, may explain things in a way that makes you feel that you have to choose a new plan type, and give up your plan, but rest-assured, I dont believe they can force you into the newer plan types, but given that my question wasnt answered too recently (not since the new plans changed to paying a monthly plan fee PLUS another fee to pay off the new device you upgraded to; that is IF you were to upgrade to a new phone (which is completely up to you--and would definitely seem proper to me, that you could likely keep your old plan most certainly--given you are not getting a phone upgrade'-however..this doesnt really make sense to you, or others in your situation, as the plan you were committed to for the last 2 years included a fee in it for the phone you got with it, SO it realistically doesnt make sense to be paying the same monthly plan rate as before moving forward, without an upgraded phone, as you were essentially paying for a new phone with your monthly rate.

So again just to re-iterate what I have said, I don't believe you do have to give up your old plan rate, and go with the new ones. However, keep in mind because the old plans you were on included a phone in the full monthly flat rate you paid for the 2 year contract term, and the new ones do not have a full monthly flat rate, but rather a monthly plan rate PLUS a fee each month, in addition, which is based on the cost of your new phone you choose. These two costs combine to make your new monthly bill, which I completely understand is NOT what you signed up for initially, with Fido..so yes, a huge dissapointment..when looking at it from your view...however..it may still work out that your old plan...if you are indeed able to keep, may be still worth keeping, and paying for a phone on top of it, either upfront, or installments of your choosing...even though I know it seems unfair...but I wish to mention here, this is where a HUGE PLUS would be calling FIDO again, explaining this issue, asking if you HAVE to transition to the new plan set-ups, and if not, try to work with them to see what works well for you, what they can offer you, or help you with to make sure you are still happy, and okay with your new terms, and also MAKE SURE that you know IF you actually need to change.

On the other flip side, if you cant keep your old plan, I would completely understand not being okay with that, or happy, but as I see it, I cant see Fido taking away from you, and changing everything up on you that you are used to. 

As a Fido cuatomer for many years, I know Fido appreciates and loves their customers, and will do all they can for you, to make things right...as they do want to support and keep their loyal customers happy...and will work with you, if you let them.

The biggest problems I have found I have faced, were not ever problems, and 100% made into unnecessary problems, just through wrongful assumptions, incorrect information provided by friends/people/strangers..and even workers...that unfortunately are not perfect and do make mistakes, need to learn and practice, and also sometimes need to verify their information with another employee with a bit more experience/understanding on whatever the issue is.

So....before getting upset, and making this a problem..first and foremost, you can try to first look up your concern online, in your contract, in the new contracts being offered for the answer you need, or/and you can definitely CALL Fido, and let them help you clarify and hopefully resolve the issue..that probably will turn out to never being a problem at all.

Remember...Fido does care ..and loyal customers are certainly important to them..if you dont know that yet, you need to call them because a call is usually all it takes to know they care and are there to help you and ensure you are happy and satisfied going forward! Smiley 

With Fido over a decade now..believe me...it takes effort for any relationship ro work..including your cellular provider, and I have gotten upset amd had u

issues at times, but Fido has kept me going this long, and that is because they are willing to work with all their customers!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @howardsiu,

@howardsiu wrote:

My contract is up this coming month and I saw that the new pricing model for all the phone no advantage to be a customer in Fido at all. Upfront payment and monthly payment end up to be the same as buying it from Samsung my self.

This is not true while I do see Fido has the new Galaxy S20 with the upfront cost and the monthly payments it would work out as if you were buying it retail but this is expected for a device that was just released you will not get a discount on the cost for a new product this early.

The benefits form Fido is you don't have to pay the full cost upfront you are able to spread out part of the cost.

Fido also gives you 5 extra hours of data every month and weekly perks.

If you compare the cost of the Galaxy S10 you can buy it directly from Samsung for $979.99 or you can get it from Fido for $0 upfront and $29.99 every month for the next 24 months that works out to be $719.76.

Promotions vary from time to time sometimes Fido even has credits when getting a new device even if it's $0 upfront. 

Are there any other different plan available?

Currently, the plans listed on the fido.ca are all that is available, sometimes you can get offers that are targeted to you If you have any offers it will pop-up when you log in to your account on fido.ca.

This new pricing model doesn't make any sense to me. 

With the increasing cost of phones, the new structure brings transparency now you can see exactly what is being paid for the service and what is being paid to the cost of the device. It would also allow you to change your plan anytime and not affect the phone payment. You can get more info on the new Payment Program here.

Why would I stay with Fido when I can buy the phone myself and sign with another company for $40? 

As a consumer is beautiful to have options, you are not forced to stay with Fido when comparing other providers you should also take into consideration the quality in service and the network coverage not just cost.

@howardsiu wrote:

Anyone want to take a crack? seems like it is easier to deal with the other company than trying to get help from Fido lol.

This is the Fido community, while it is moderated by Fido employees it is meant for customers to help each other.

If you need account-related help or negotiate offers you should reach out to customer service you can do so through any of the available methods listed here.

howardsiu
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

@ KAPABLE-K 

If you need account-related help or negotiate offers you should reach out to customer service you can do so through any of the available methods listed here.

Oh and your link is incorrect.

Hello @howardsiu,

Which company is $400 less than Fido?

I updated the link to the correct one, thank you for the heads-ups, this is exactly why the community exists 😉.

howardsiu
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Yes this is a community however when I send the Fido a private message they ask me to post it here so they will have someone get back to me ( I never understand why). Also If you get the S20 with another company with an even cheaper and better plan, Fido is about $400 more than the other company. I don;t even care if I have to pay full price or $0 upfront. The cost of staying with Fido is alot more when you do the math for the next 24 months. 

howardsiu
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Anyone want to take a crack? seems like it is easier to deal with the other company than trying to get help from Fido lol.