cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful service in Okotoks

qag
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have been with every major Canadian carrier (Bell, Telus , Fido(Rogers) and Wind, and the cell service I've experienced with Fido has to be the worst. Sitting inside the high school here, an area which bell/Telus have great coverage, all that I get with Fido is an unusable LTE network, and a very slow hspa network. If I leave my phone on LTE preferred, it jumps between LTE and HSPA all day, making the service even more unusable. Rogers/Fido needs to fix this, more towers maybe?

***Edited to add labels***

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Qag,

Welcome to the community!

Judging by the screen capture below, there does not seem to be very many Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the area.

Okotoks.jpg

Taken from here.

It's a common misconception that any of the mobile providers will suit everyone, everywhere. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. The nature of mobile phones is that they are dependent on cellular signals reaching the phones. Many factors can affect those signals from reaching the phones-- including proximity to cellular towers and interference caused by obstructions between the cellular and the device. That is why no mobile provider will be able guarantee their service.

The obvious solution would be for Fido/Rogers to erect an additional tower in the area. They are unlikely to install a new tower for a few customers. Your best option is to have a discussion with your local municipality and community to establish the need for a new tower.

Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

Have you tried to enable roaming on your phone? With extended coverage, you might be able to connect to the other towers as Fido-EXT. You should note, however, that use of extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. If you regularly exceed 50% usage on their networks, the service may be blocked.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

BTW, I find it difficult to believe that Wind's (Freedom Mobile's) coverage is better in the area seeing as they do not have any cellular towers in the area. If you were able to get adequate coverage, it would be because your phone was Away and roaming on the other networks...