cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any charge for receiving text messages while in the US?

Gabs1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Im travelling in South Africa and my data is disabled but I've been receiving text messages. 

1. Is there any charge to me for receiving these texts in SA? I cant seem to turn this function off.

2. What is the cost to me for sending texts messages in response? (With data turned off)? 

Thanks a lot! 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Gabs1,

Welcome to the community!

No, you are not charged for receiving SMS, regardless of where you are situated. The only option to not receive SMS on your phone (other than removing the SIM) would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode on the device. You can then manually enable Wifi, when required.

Assuming you have a post-paid plan...

If you did not opt-out of Fido Roam, you would be travelling with Fido Roam. Using your services -- including replying to a text message -- would incur the daily Fido Roam charge for the region ($12 per day in South Africa). Note that disabling data and/or data roaming does not prevent roaming for voice calls and text messaging. Additionally, data and data roaming would need to be enabled to send or receive MMS.

If you did opt-out of Fido Roam, you would be travelling on a pay-per-use roaming basis. The rates for South Africa are shown below:

South Africa.jpg

~taken from link above

Also note that sending and/or receiving MMS with pay-per-use will likely incur the roaming data charge in addition to the charge for text messages.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers