Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating new sim card

shantih6985
I'm a contributor level 2

Hello, I had a Samsung Galaxy S9 Smartphone from FIDO

About a month ago I upgraded my smartphone to a pre owned certified Samsung Galaxy S20

Obviously my device came with a new sim card,

however; when I had trouble activating new sim card #,  I called and text chatted with an agent who told me to take the sim card from old device and put it in new device and it will work. 

My question is; when or if I wanted to activate my new sim card should I take the old sim card out before activating on FIDO.ca under my account.

( I AM NOT ACTIVATING THROUGH MY ACCOUNT APP installed on my device) OR do I have to activate it on an entirely different device, like a tablet??

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Shantih6985,

@shantih6985 wrote:..My question is; when or if I wanted to activate my new sim card should I take the old sim card out before activating on FIDO.ca under my account...

It would depend on what your intentions were for using the SIM card. If you wished to use that new SIM card for current phone line (ie replace your old SIM), you would need to update your SIM card details on your account. You can do that via My Account --> Usage & Services --> Mobile --> Update SIM card (under Quick Actions, near bottom of page). You'll likely need to enter your old SIM information as well as your new SIM information. Once updated, your old SIM would no longer work.

On the other hand, if you wished to add a new line on your account (ie Tablet plan), you would need to activate that SIM for that line and plan. As far as I am aware, you might need to contact customer service to activate a new SIM card. That said, you would likely receive another new SIM card when ordering a new plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

shantih6985

Please don't reply to me unless you are going to ANSWER MY QUESTION

You are not answering my question!!

Hello again,

Sorry to hear you feel that your question wasn't answered. However, it really does depend on how you intend on using the SIM.

Could you please elaborate on your question further so we may understand what aspect was not answered?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @shantih6985,

If the old SIM card is still working you can just use that in the new device and keep the new SIM card for future use.

You can find the instructions on how to update your SIM card here.