cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G frequency (B17)

whatup2003
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi, I have the Xiaomi Mi 9 transparent version smartphone and it supports 2 SIM cards. I have one Fido SIM card and another SIM card on roaming using Rogers network. The data signal I get on the Fido one is always H+ or 3G, meanwhile the one on Rogers network is always 4G (both have 4G set as priority).

I looked it up on a website and it shows Rogers' 4G uses B4,B7,B12 frequencies (which my phone support them all) while Fido's 4G uses B4, B7, B17 frequencies (which my phone is missing B17). I googled and found an old post on this forum saying that B17 is not widely used but apparently the missing B17 support basically caused my phone to miss 4G almost EVERYWHERE.

Am I forced to switch carrier if I wanted to use 4G on my current phone?

4 REPLIES 4

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @hesama ,

Welcome to the Community!

No worries, we do not offer the Xiaomi Mi 9 on our side, but I'll do my best Smiley

To access and update your APN settings you would need to open : Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.

Then you would press ADD on the right top corner to create a new APN. You can refer to the link sent above by @Cawtau to see what info needs to be added.

I hope this helps!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Whatup2003,

That's strange, both Fido and Rogers share the same networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Have you verified the phone is using the proper APN? Since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here.

Aside: It's likely the information you found on that old forum post is out of date. B17 is a subset of B12 (700MHz) and is widely used in many areas.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

whatup2003

I went through some trouble to be able to finally add an APN using the letmobile.apn, but yeah, that was the culprit. I can now get 4G signals. Thanks a bunch!

hesama
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, 

I have the same issue with my MI 9 phone and not getting 4G ever. I am only using one sim card.

Do you know what are the steps to add the APN? I am not super technical on phone issues.

Thanks a lot