cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3-Year Contract over, want to unlock iPhone

MamrajMahboob
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Okay, the subject pretty much explains it all. My contract with FIDO is over, and I want to unlock my iPhone now legally in case I want to switch over to Rogers or other telecom. Is that possible?

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, Fido will unlock it officially for you, mind you, their fee is $50. I do not know if you can get it officially unlocked elsewhere at this time, but you may want to inquire within at Apple as well to see if they can unlock it or if anyone else unlocks it officially for a good price.

ChinaDoll13
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Quick question to Paolo... 

the $50 unlock fee, is it permenant (ie hardware unlock)????

no more lock on the phone on future iOS updates????

Hey ChinaDoll13!

I wish to confirm that the unlock is permanent (hardware unlock). However, please note that should you send your phone in for repair, you will need to unlock it once more once you get it back.

I hope that this answers your inquiry! Smiley

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@FidoJudhy wrote:
Hey ChinaDoll13!

I wish to confirm that the unlock is permanent (hardware unlock). However, please note that should you send your phone in for repair, you will need to unlock it once more once you get it back.

I hope that this answers your inquiry! Smiley

Just as a point of correction: If you take your phone for repair through Apple, then the phone will remain unlocked. Even if they exchange it, the replacement will be unlocked. This is because of how Apple's unlock works, the unlock is based on the IMEI and stored on their servers. When they perform an exchange, the IMEI of the replacement phone inherits the locked/unlocked status of the original phone. 

If you exchange it through Fido (or a repair that results in an exchange) then the replacement will have to be unlocked again, for another $50.