cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$100 Balance Extension-when does it expire?

Jack_
I'm a participant level 3

Some time ago I took advantage of the $100 extend your balance offer. I understand that I have to call Fido to reinstate my monthly $10 payments. However, I don't remember when that extension-balance plan expires--how can I find out the exact date?

6 REPLIES 6

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Jack_,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

You should be able to check the expiry date on the extension in 2 ways:

1. By calling our Automated System and pressing 2 - 2 - 1 in the menu

2. By logging into your online account and checking under My Account – Services.

Let us know how it goes!

Jack_

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance.

I called a 1-800 number and was told that there was no balance in my account, but if I refill now, it will be restored. So I added $10 over the phone. Nevertheless, I was unable to find out when my $100 balance extension option expired.

Then I went to Fido's My Account online. To be honest, it was somehow confusing. I was logged on and when I was clicking on My Account, nothing was happening. I had to sign out and the log on again, finally after clicking on My Account, I saw a number of clickable options (Overview
Charges & Payment, Usage & Services, Profile & Settings). I wanted to set up an automatic refill, but again, it took me a while to do so.

The options were a little confusing. I wanted to set up automatic refill of $10 per month (which is the minimum required per month to keep my prepaid plan active), but when I clicked on "Recurring Auto Refill", there was this message: "0.00 +HST is charged on December 19, 2019" and it was impossible to change this.

I finally went to "Low Balance Fido Refill" and picked the option "Refill when my balance is $1.00" and "Refill Amount $10.00 per 30 days". To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure that  $10 will be automatically added every 30 days to my account (it MUST be, otherwise my prepaid phone will stop working)--if anyone can confirm that it will be, that would be great-thanks in advance!

That's why I find the information on Fido's webpage not very clear and ambiguous. In addition, I believe that Fido should have notified me about the expiration of the $100 Balance Extension option and give me an option to again go on the automatic refill (as I did before).

Hello Jack_,

Welcome to the community!

If you hadn't already found it, here are some additional information pages regarding pre-paid service: How pre-paid works; and Auto refill pre-paid.

Do you use the phone? If so, you would need to have chosen a plan as well. Also, did you top-up an additional balance along with your automatic refill? While the minimum requirement to extend your balance expiry is $10 per month, merely topping up with that minimum is not sufficient to accomodate your plan fee (lowest monthly is $10.75). To continue to use the services, you would also need to add sufficient funds for the service fees. My understanding is that you would also need to use the Recurring option to pay for the plan fees (unless you make an initial deposit into your account).

If you were receiving that error, it's possible that your balance had been too low to cover the plan fees and you need to choose your plan again.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Jack_

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks for your reply.

I got the prepaid plan in 1999 and it costs me $10 (+ HST) every month. For many years I've been on an automatic (recurring) monthly refill of $10 + HST. Since I hardly use the phone, after about 2 years my balance is about $200 and then I take the advantage of the $100 balance extension offer. 

I remember that in the past I simply called Fido after the expiration of the $100 balance extension offer and was again set up for the recurring monthly refill. This time I tried to do it online, and I hope I managed to do it, but I am not 100% sure. Unfortunately, the information on the website are not 100% clear. Perhaps I will have to call Fido and talk to a rep about that-I've already wasted so much of my time for something that should take me 5-10 minutes.

Regards,

Jack

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Were you still on the By the Minute plan? Unfortunately, that plan is no longer available. With the new plans, only topping up the minimum each month won't be sufficient for the plan's monthly costs (unless you have remaining balance on your account).

I understand it's a busy time of year for everyone. However, I think you are better off contacting customer service so that they can access your account and verify your plan details. Alternatively, you  might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Jack_

Hello,

Yes, I pay $0.40 per minute and have to pay $10 per month minimum to maintain this plan. Even though it does not exist anymore, I was told a few years ago that due to 'grandfather provisions', I can still use it.

I'll call customer service, that will be the best way.

All the best,

Jack