cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet when in bridge mode and IPV6

Jw14
I'm a participant level 2

Issue: slow internet test speed (10mbps down and up) and high ping when having the modem (CODA-4582) in bridge mode and having ipv6 enabled (on my router).

I can use ipv6 with the modem in bridge mode fine for a few hours, but the internet slows down to about 10/10 Mbps, compare to the 150/15 Mbps I initially get. There is no such issue if I use the modem in gateway mode with ipv6 enabled, or I can use the modem in bridge mode with ipv6 disabled on my router.

I talked to the fido support many times and they said the signal is perfect. I even had a tech come to my house and he said everything is well connected and he does not see any issue with my setup. 

Can someone help me resolve this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

srissman

I just had Fido installed and noticed the same.
CODA-4582U - Bridge Mode.
I have found after an short period of time (< 1 hour) my speed will also drop to 10/10.
I simple reboot bring me back to normal speeds.

After reading your post I decided to test this ipv6 statement.  I access ipv6-test.com to test my ipv6 connectivity (which was "supported") but then after another https://www.fido.ca/consumer/support/speedcheck check, I was immeditially back to 10/10.  Humm; intersting.

I still have my rogers connection setup while testing fido to make the switch; same modem, same bridge.  no probems.

I will contact Support again, and post anything I figure out.  
Router: Asus GT-AC5300 (ipv6 enabled)
Fido Modem: 

Hardware Version2A
Software Version7.1.1.37

srissman

Update, when I turned off ipv6 on my router, the connectio was stable a few days at full up/down Mbps.

Busy week, unable to find the time to call Fido back until today.
Last night my modem starting rebooting over and over, and some times, all lights go off.
Today I had it stabilize enough to browse the web for 2 minutes before it starting rebooting again.

The Fido Techncial support decided it was a faulty modem and will not even consider looking at the ipv6 issue until the modem is stable.  Instead of being able to run out and back home with a new modem in 30 minutes; I need to wait 2 days for a technican to come and bring a new modem.

When this is up and going; I have the new modem in bridge mode then I can try to get Fido to look the Bridge Mode + ipv6 issue.

Sigh.

srissman

Technican showed up; installed the new Fido modem; the one thing I asked him not to do is disconnect the Rogers modem as there is someone currently working from home in meetings.    So, he proceeded to disconnnect the rogers modem killing the video meeting; When I asked he told me he let the person know first (lying about it). I am not pleased with this subrate cable plugger-in-er.  

Moving on...

New Modem, same firmware; in bridge mode as alwasy.
Same Asus router; I re-enabled ipv6 (native) and it seems to be working currenly; no throttling currently full speed.
The only difference this time (other then different IP address) is before I put it in bridge mode I updated the timzone for the ntp server.  Previously it annoyed me the log files having the incorrect time.

So, like I said, no solutions, but things are currently working.   Need to monitor.

FidoAlex

Hey @Jw14 and @eforblue, Alex here!

I'm sorry to see that you're having trouble with your Fido home internet. I would love to help, but unfortunately, this type of situation falls outside our scope of support so we would suggest contacting our Fido home internet technical support team if you haven't done so already.

They can be reached 24/7 by phone or live chat here. If you've already spoken with them, then perhaps someone else in the Community might be able to better assist you.

eforblue
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am having the same issue since I switch to Fido starting this year. The speed is slow in bridge mode when connect to the Google Nest Wifi. 

Tried to contact support by phone and online and no one can provide helpful solutions. They keep saying it's the router issue but I never have any issue with it before I switch to Fido. I really think the modem setting has something to do with it.