cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental Controls

Laurie_123
I'm a participant level 2

Hi - I want to limit wifi to certain devices (i.e. my kids' devices) between 10 and 7 am. I have read the posts about parental controls and talked to FIDO. I have logged into my modem and located device filters, etc. I cannot get this to work. I have seen some people comment that the time zone is GMT. It is so confusing once you get into device filters. Has anyone had any success in selectively blocking devices with the FIDO modem? Is there a step by step guide available? Is there a certain modem that is easier than others? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Oscarin
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

1 year later still there is not a solution to this problem.  Modem manufacturer has an app to manage it but is capped by fido.  Managing the parental controls thru the modems IP is inconvenient, as a dad that manages all internet related stuff at home, I should be able to control it even if I am not at home

wilben1

Like me you've waisted your time with Fido techs.  Bell's system was far better than this.  I've been at this for close to an hour and still can't get it to work.  And it's so slow it's impossible to work with.  I've got a teen who is on the internet playing game till 3 in the morning and cannot get up for school.  The only way I can shut his computer off is if I shut the whole system in the house!!

wilben1

Ever since I switched over from Bell I've been scratching my head on how to navigate on Fido's parental control. Even after talking to their tech support I'm still in the dark.  Bell's was so much easier as they based their program on Excel format. That way you could toggle on any time to make your changes.  Hopefully fido will come out with something a bit more user friendly

1POdParent
I'm a participant level 1

I agree.  I too am a parent and NEED to limit acess of devices in my household for my teens. Especially now that they are doing school from home. Bell has this feature and so does Virgin who uses their lines. Rogers has this feature so why doesn't Fido, who uses their lines.  I have been on the phone with Fido/Rogers techs and have been directed to Fido's gateway site; done all the settings and filters which should be applicable with little to no success.  I can't 'name' devices; I can't identify 'unknown' devices; it's like shooting fish in a barrel to determine if a device is turned on or off during certain time periods/days but that's only if the device is known to me......IT'S FRUSTRATING AND EXASPERATING AND WAY TOO LABOUR INTENSIVE!

One one call to the techs, the Fido lady said. "you can do that? Turn device access off and on?" Sigh....after I told her - the Fido employee - how it worked, she had to transfer my call...yet again....to someone else. 

Now that I have recieved my first Fido home internet bill, I was shocked to learn that there is an additional $10 charge for modem rental.... Staff DID NOT MENTION THAT THERE WOULD BE AN ADDITIONAL FEE EACH MONTH!

So now with the additional charges coupled with the fact that I no longer have control to mange the devices in my home, I am on the hunt...again....for a new home internt service provider.

Annoyed.

Hey again, 

I just wanted to follow up on this after having looked into it more. 

Prior to use Parental Control, you would need to call Tech Support so we can change the Time zone because it's set by default to UTC+00:00 Greenwich Mean Time and it's not something that can be done from your side.

After the Time zone is set to UTC-05:00 Eastern Time (US & Canada), you can follow the steps below:

1. Select Security tab from top menu OR Wireless tab (if only on WiFi devices)
  2. Select Device Filter
  3. Click SHOW (device in concern need to be connected)
  4. Click Manage  from the device line
  5. Then see below to select Day/Time (Green to allow; Red to block)

Hope this helps! 

Maggie007

Called Fido Tech Support today, and they don't know about this at all.

Liliana_f23

The device management is really terrible.  It is not user friendly at all and good luck figuring out which device is which. Fido needs to do better. All of the competitors offer a user friendly, intuitive GUI to control access and provide parental controls

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Laurie_123,

This post here might be of help to you.

Laurie_123

Hi - thanks for this. I had seen that post. That "solution" just shows you where "device filter" is but does not tell you or walk you through how to use the device filter. And it is not intuitive. There are about 35 additional steps required to successfully block wifi to a device at certain times. I definitely share the frutstration of a few other parents / users on this board and if anyone finds a more user-friendly modem even if it means changing providers, please let me know. There needs to be a step by step guide or video re. how to do this. My main question is what time zone is represnted in the modem? No one knows. Someone suggested GMT. No one knows at FIDO tech either. Seems incredible. If i could figure out the time zone, I could take the three hours needed to figure out the rest of it - as noted in recent post by 1POdparent. Help needed! Thanks!

Hey @Laurie_123

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback! 

Can you just let us know what modem model you're using?