cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Home Internet setup (coax in basement?)

floyd2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I just got my Fido Home Internet package, and want to start connecting. I'm following the directions from the video (https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/internet-modem-install), and also the quick start guide. However, I want the modem to be installed in the basement where all my "cables" are located (coax inputs and outputs). As a result, I don't have a "coax wall socket" like I do in my living room.

I'm really no expert on this, and I'm not sure how exactly to plug a coax cable into my modem. All I know is that I have a 3-way splitter on the line coming into the basement. It's split into a 3.5 dB, and two 7 db.

The 3.5 is already connected, so can I simply use one of the 7 dB? I can also maneuver the cables so that the modem would use the 3.5 if that's the more desirable configuration. Even though the 3.5 is already connected, there are no devices that are using it.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Floyd.

**Edited to add label

5 REPLIES 5

FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @floyd2! Smiley

To be able to use the modem, you will need to plug the coax cable in the back of the modem. If you're looking for quick start guide, you can check it out here.

I you need help with installation, we can send a technician but there's a 50$ fee. Let us know if you need help with that and we will send you a PM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello floyd2,

Usually when a cable modem is connected to the Cable point of demarcation, the modem should use the port on the splitter with the lowest loss, so that would be the 3.5 dB port.  Give it a try and let us know if it worked.

floyd2

Hi Paolo,

I tried your suggestion, and it worked! Smiley

All the wiring is really not my area of expertise, so I had to look up what "cable point of demarcation" meant, and even still I don't quite understand..

I'm guessing this is a common setup for some people?

Thanks for the update, floyd2!

Happy to hear it's working!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically the cable point of demarcation is where the cable enters your house and the responsibility of the cable company ends.  So in most cases it enters near your Hydro Panel area and usually connects to a ground block and then what ever connects to it is considered ISW (InSideWiring) which is usually the responsibility of the Home owner (can vary depending on cable company agreements) and connects to the cable run through your walls to your TV or if you have multiple TV's or devices I should say, it goes into a splitter then to the multiple cable runs throughout your house.