Thread for reporting SMS spam

MVP
MVP

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Thread for reporting SMS spam

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 454
I'm a Participant Level 1 Janney
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi Fido, 

I received this text message and I was wondering if it was a scam. 

A0CF01EE-E27D-4ED1-AE4C-C09AF2807FFF.jpeg

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 451 of 454
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Hello @Janney,

Welcome to the community!

That is definitely a scam text. You can forward messages like this to 7726 (SPAM).

In the event your account is ever over charged or you over paid Fido will credit your account.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 452 of 454
MVP
MVP

Hello Janney,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 453 of 454
I'm a Participant Level 1 KJB23
I'm a Participant Level 1

just a heads up, received a SPAM text from 902 646 0148, "IMPORTANT NOTICE" ... reported to FIDO as  SPAM

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 454 of 454