cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 for account charge- It is unacceptable!

Chineselongshi
I'm a participant level 3

I got a text from Fido on the 24th of May, and it showed that my payment was declined. I immediately connected with customer service online and they told me the automatic credit card payment didn't go through. They suggested I solve the problem as soon as possible, or I would be charged an extra fee.  I contacted the credit card company on the 25th of May and they told me my former credit card had expired and the renewed one's date was different, so they refused to pay.  I changed to another credit card for automatic payment and Fido received the payment on the 26th of May. But Fido still charged me 50 for the account charge. It is unacceptable!! I strongly advise Fido to write in the contract clearly:  No matter the reason, the customer will be charged 50 as a penalty for not paying on time

7 REPLIES 7

Chineselongshi

Dear Cawtau, thanks for your reply. I think the root of the problem is Fido's policy. The customer service department also responded to me based on the relevant policy. If the policy doesn't change, do you think it makes sense for me to contact them? I don't think so. My concern isn't about 50 dollars being charged, my concern is that the policy following is wrong. The reason I post here is just want people to realize that if the policy doesn't change, my problem may happen to you tomorrow.  

Hello again,

Thank you for informing the community. However, you should note that fees for Returned Payments are not uncommon (see here and here). Many businesses would have similar policies in place. It isn't strictly limited to being Fido's policy. I understand it can be very easy to overlook an expired credit card. However, it's always been the customers' responsibility to keep track of their payment methods.

Cheers

Chineselongshi

Dear Cawtau, thank you again for your reply. When it comes to policy, I strongly suggest Fido compare its policies with those of other competitors. If Fido truly cares about customers, why does Fido need to be the most ruthless service provider in the industry?

By the way, my problem is not overlooking an expired credit card. The issue is that my new credit card's expiration date is different from the older one. Because of this discrepancy, the credit card company refused to pay the fee according to the previous information.

I believe Fido needs to prioritize its services to customers, not ask the customer to become an expert in credit cards. And please remember that Fido provides a service for me; I do not provide a service for Fido.

Hello again,

@Chineselongshi wrote:

...By the way, my problem is not overlooking an expired credit card. The issue is that my new credit card's expiration date is different from the older one. ...

Having an updated expiration date for your new credit card means that your old card passed its expiration date:

@Chineselongshi wrote:

....I contacted the credit card company on the 25th of May and they told me my former credit card had expired...

I mentioned:

@Cawtau  wrote:

...it's always been the customers' responsibility to keep track of their payment methods.

Keeping track of your own payment methods is not providing a service for Fido. People call it adulting.

As mentioned, many businesses would have similar policies in place.

Cheers

Chineselongshi

Thanks again. This was also my earliest proposal to Fido, to clearly state in the contract that no matter the reason, the customer will be fined 50 dollars for not paying the fee on time. 

People also call it Responsibility.

Hello again,

@Chineselongshi wrote:

...no matter the reason, the customer will be fined 50 dollars for not paying the fee on time..

You were provided the reason for that charge in my first reply:

@Cawtau @ wrote

...The fee you note is likely for Returned Payment (see here). That fee is charged when the pre-authorised payment is denied. As you note, you received a text notification that your payment was declined.

That charge was not for late payment. A customer without pre-authorised payments set-up would not incur a Returned Payment fee if they pay their bill after their Payment Due Date. In that case, they would likely only incur the late fee.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chineselongshi,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear of your situation.

@Chineselongshi wrote:

.... No matter the reason, the customer will be charged 50 as a penalty for not paying on time

However, that charge is not for late payment. The late payment fee is 3% per month (see Terms of Service; section 3c for further details). The fee you note is likely for Returned Payment (see here). That fee is charged when the pre-authorised payment is denied. As you note, you received a text notification that your payment was declined.

You should note these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We do not have access to customers' accounts. If you would like assistance with your rmatter, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers