cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xiaomi

mkacsa1965
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, will a Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Pro+ 5G 256GB 8GB RAM Dual phone work on Fido network in Canada?

Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mkacsa1965,

Welcome to the community!

It depends on the version of that particular device. I am aware of at least two different versions of that device. However, only one of them would be more compatible with the networks in Canada.

For example, these are the specifications for one of the versions:

2G: GSM: 850 900 1800 1900MHz

3G: WCDMA:1/2/4/5/6/8/19

4G: LTE FDD:1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/26/28/32/66

4G: LTE TDD:38/40/41

~taken from here.

These are the specifications for the other version:

4G: LTE FDD: B1/3/5/8/19

4G: LTE TDD: B34/38/39/40/41 : B41(196MHz)

3G: WCDMA: B1/5/6/8/19

2G: GSM: B3/5/8

~taken from here.

According to those specifications, both devices appear to have the compatible band/frequency for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, the first version appears to have many of the compatible bands/frequencies while the second version appears to only have one of them. You can view the compatible bands/frequencies here. You should note that LTE band 5 is generally reserved for aggregating with other bands for LTE Advanced (see here). I cannot be certain the second device will be able to access LTE without the main backbone bands.

While the first phone should work on the networks and the second device may work on the networks, you should note that since Fido does not offer Xiaomi devices, it's unlikely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) will work with that device. 

It should be noted that I did not include any 5G bands above as Fido does not currently offer that service. It should also be noted that there may be other versions of that particular device of which I am not aware. You would need to ensure the device has the compatible bands/frequencies provided in the link above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers