cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roaming but not roaming

stephen8888
I'm a participant level 2

I have a unlock Samsung Galaxy Ace. When I insert a Fido SIM card, the device shows roaming. The fact is I'm having a monthly contract with Fido and I'm within Vancouver area.I can dial out and receive call. Anythings go wrong?  When I insert a Rogers SIM card, no roaming shown, everythings normal. Anyone can tell me whats going wrong?

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

jetscold
I'm a participant level 1

I have the same unlocked phone, it has 'R' symbol as well. Also, has anybody tried data with this phone? It looks like I cannot use the data network with this Galaxy Ace.

Kishore

I also have this exact same problem.

I am going to try to look for a solution to reflash the radio.

fidoace
I'm a participant level 3

I noticed something in my Galaxy Ace, sometimes when I get no bars/signal strength, my phone shows 'Rogers Wireless' even though I'm not able to make calls/send messages.

I have also manually selected 'FIDO' under phone network settings -

Is there a way to make sure it doesn't roam on Rogrs network (I know Fido uses the network as mentioned above) but I'm trying to ensure it won't pick up Bell/Telus etc when there isn't signal strength.

I would apprecaite any feedback or advise on this.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@fidoace wrote:

I noticed something in my Galaxy Ace, sometimes when I get no bars/signal strength, my phone shows 'Rogers Wireless' even though I'm not able to make calls/send messages.

I have also manually selected 'FIDO' under phone network settings -

Is there a way to make sure it doesn't roam on Rogrs network (I know Fido uses the network as mentioned above) but I'm trying to ensure it won't pick up Bell/Telus etc when there isn't signal strength.

I would apprecaite any feedback or advise on this.

You'll only roam on carriers that Rogers/Fido have roaming agreements with. I would not expect them to have a domestic roaming agreement with Bell/Telus, except in remote areas where they have no towers at all.

fidoace

to the OP stephen8888: I have the same issue , bought a new galaxy ace and it shows (R) above the signal bar.

Hopefully you haven't received any exorbitant bill from Fido as I hope really it is what others have mentioned here Smiley

Can you please confirm?

stephen8888

Thanks Buddy, The phone is an unlock koodo phone (Samsung Ace) which is using the same band with Fido and Rogers.I just find some info from internet, it says that there is a 3G SIM card replaceing the old SIM which might solve the roaming problem. Anyone heard that? Is it true?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@stephen8888 wrote:

Thanks Buddy, The phone is an unlock koodo phone (Samsung Ace) which is using the same band with Fido and Rogers.I just find some info from internet, it says that there is a 3G SIM card replaceing the old SIM which might solve the roaming problem. Anyone heard that? Is it true?

No, I haven't heard that and it doesn't make much sense. As Paolo mentioned, you are roaming in the Rogers network, even though it is the Fido network too. The network identifies as a different network than the SIM so you will see roaming (but not be charged for roaming). The only way to prevent it is to update the OS with the tweaks that Fido requires on their own handsets that tells the OS that the Rogers network is not a roaming network. Since you don't have a Fido phone, it is unlikely you will find any tweaks available. You are really just going to have to live with it.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
Is it a fido phone? If not it will show roaming due to how fido and Rogers 'segregate' their network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at the technical specifications on how the fido brand is working, then yes from a technical perspective, the fido sim card (302-370) is roaming on a different network (302-720)Rogers as a result of the sale of fido to rogers and their network integration.

But from a usability perspective, you are still considered to be in your home network according to the billing system and the network swittch.  So its safe to "ignore" the roaming symbol,  but pay attention to the alpha tag.  As long as it says fido or Rogers, your in the home network, if it says anything else, your Roaming on a foreign network.  Hope This Helps