Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone service

fishload
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello All

I find it telling that my subject is not listed on the suggested topic list:   namely Fido mobile service.

I am not one to keep my phone in front of my face every second of the day, but I'm finding that this is probably required so I will not miss as many calls as I do.   Yesterday I was at lunch and when I was done I checked my phone to see I had missed 2 voice calls and a text message.   This has happened to me innumerible times in the past.

But guess what,  I have have an even more irritating problem.   If ( last paragraph) my phone rings it becomes a race between my ability to get my phone out of my pocket before my ring time allotment expires I have lost so many times that I tell my callers to call me again right away  and when they do  I will have the phone in my hand ready to receive my call.   This is not only annoying, it is false economy on Rodgers part..   In their infinite wisdom they limit the ring time to 10 seconds to preserve band width not realising that those who loose the race will probably call the callee back thus using more of their precious band width and pissing off the initial call recipient who becomes so despondent that he seriously begins to look for another provider.   Good luck Fido you and me are through.

***Edited to add Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@fishload wrote:

Hello All

...I am not one to keep my phone in front of my face every second of the day, but I'm finding that this is probably required so I will not miss as many calls as I do.   Yesterday I was at lunch and when I was done I checked my phone to see I had missed 2 voice calls and a text message.   This has happened to me innumerible times in the past.

Hello Fishload,

Welcome to the forums!

Poor cell phone reception can be due to a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) the device itself, your location and immediate surroundings.

Can I ask what phone you have and where you got it? If it does not have all of the compatible bands/frequencies, then coverage might be limited.

Where are you situated? Cell signal reception depends, in part, on proximity to cell towers. As you might guess, cell signal decreases as you get further away from a tower. While the cellular companies try to place their towers in strategic locations to provide adequate signal for most people, there will unfortunately be people who are near the limits of coverage. That said, have you tried to turn roaming on? Depending on where you live, the area might be considered an extended coverage area. If so, you'll get connected to Fido-ext. Technically, the device will be roaming on another network, but with the roaming agreements, you won't be charged for roaming. However, any plan limitations still apply. You'll just have to remember to turn roaming off when you travel outside of Canada.

Also, anything between the phone and the cell tower can potentially impede signal. That may include buildings, trees, hills, etc. If you're close to a cell tower, the impact of this interference might not be noticeable. However, if your device already has less signal strength because it's further away from a tower, then a building might just block signal altogether.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoKenny

Hey fishload and welcome to the Community.

Sorry to see that you're having that experience with your phone.

Did you get a chance to try your sim card in a different Fido phone to see if you are getting the same result?

Also, did you get a chance to get your phone checked at one of our Fido locations? If you are still under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, you can send it for repair.

Let me know.