cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone hotspot feature: Will Fido support it

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

The upcoming update for iOS will have a new tethering option that allows tethering via wifi. It is enabled by the carrier the same the the current USB/Bluetooth tethering is enabled, through a carrier file. Since Fido allows tethering with all of the data plans over 1GB, can we assume that this will not change and that iPhones (and other phones) will continue to be able to tether, now via wifi, for no additional charge?

5 REPLIES 5

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

I know this is a pretty old thread but I thought I would provide some updated information for anyone who may come across this with a similar question. Smiley

For all plans released on or after August 3rd, 2011, which bill data overusage at a flat rate per increment of a specific amount of data that you go over your allotted usage(for example, $5/100 MB or $10/GB. The overusage rate is dependent on which plan you are subscribed to), tethering is enabled regardless of how much data you have included in your plan. There is no longer any minimum data allotment required in order to be able to tether with your plan.

Hope this helps! 

bcgc
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

If Fido is so concerned about customers having to pay overcharges, why are they only giving 250 minutes of call time with their $65 plan that includes bluetooth hotspot?

Anonymous
Not applicable
correction, fido allows IPHONE TETHERING with plans ove 1G.

other phones that are not an iphone dont need to worry about this.

Agent237
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

If you have the Fido Acer Liquid E Android phone, this feature is enabled and works.  We can only assume that same feature on an iPhone will be allowed to function.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

MobileSyrup.ca is reporting the Rogers has announced it will be included as any other tethering option, with plans over 1GB. The other carriers are including it without data plan size restriction. I assume Fido will follow Rogers lead.