cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data network problem with Honor 5c NEM-AL10

richard_05117
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I have Honor 5c NEM-AL10. when I put fido sim card, the bar shows 2G instead of 4G or LTE. I'm able to make a phone call, but the network speed is very, very show. I went to a few fido stores, they tried  the instruction how to configure your phone posted on this website, but it still has the same problem, so how can I set up APN to fix this issue?

** Edited to add labels **

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Richard_05117,

Welcome to the community!

**edit** Where did you purchase the phone?** Do you know the band and frequency specifications for your particular phone version? From what I have been able to find, there are a number of different specifications listed for that model version.

For example, if your phone has the specifications listed here:

2G: GSM 850/1800/1900MHz, CDMA BC0
3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz, TD-SCDMA 1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2100MHz, TDD-LTE 1900/2300/2500/2600MHz

That version has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. Unfortunately, however, it does not have any of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G' or LTE. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. I understand that FDD 2100MHz is listed above, but that refers to band 1 rather than the compatible band 4. I also understand that TDD 2600MHz is listed, but Fido/Rogers does not use time division duplex (TDD).

On the other hand, if your phone has the specifications listed here, that version has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that device only has one of the compatible bands/frequencies, band 7 or 2600MHz.

Both sites list the specifications for NEM-AL10.

Assuming your phone does have compatible '3G' and/or LTE bands/frequencies, have you verified your phone is using the correct APN? Since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn You can verify the correct settings here.

Have you verified your network is set to GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE?

If you purchased the phone from abroad, have you enabled roaming data? Occasionally, some phones from abroad think they are roaming when they are outside of their expected region even though they use a local SIM.

Are you sure you're in an area with adequate coverage? Coverage depends on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers matching those on your phone. Not all bands/frequencies are used at all cellular tower sites. You can get an idea of the location of your surrounding towers and their bands/frequencies here.

**edit** Yet another site with slightly different specifications listed:

2G: GSM B2/B3/B8
3G: WCDMA B1/B8; TD-SCDMA: B34/B39; CDMA2000: BC0
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3; TDD-LTE: B38/B39/B40/B41

Those listings suggest only one compatible 2G band/frequency, band 2 or 1900MHz. Coverage with a device with these specifications would be less than the eBay version since band 2 travels a shorter distance and penetrates less than band 5 or 850MHz**

**edit** More specification listings I found,  DHgate - one 2G; Amazon.cn - one 2G; eBay2 - one 2G; PDADb.ru - all 2G & '3G', one LTE... **

**edit** Unfortunately, if you do happen to have one of the versions without '3G' or LTE, then using data with the 2G network is going to be rather slow. You will however, be able to make/receive calls as well as send/receive SMS. Sending/receiving MMS might also be rather slow with the 2G network**

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers