cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 7

TuxTux
I'm a participant level 2

I've been having almost nothing but trouble with my WP7 on Fido. The phone itself is great, but it's only Fido-specific network problems that is causing grief.

1. I can't receive call/name display since I got the data add-on. It worked great before the data was put on my account. I get a total of two people in my contacts who show up, both on Rogers, but other numbers (on Fido, Rogers, Bellus, etc.) do not show up at all, they only show up as "Unknown".
  2. Text message timestamps received show as 4 hours earlier (e.g. I receive it at 16:56 and it says I received it at 12:56). Interestingly, I get name/number display just fine in text messages.
  3. Tech support has had me shut down and restart my phone at least 8 times, as well as trying IMEI stuff. Apparently, however, there's only 2 procedures they can try before throwing their hands up and saying "I don't know", so I don't know what the other 6 times were for.

In short, WP7 is a great phone, and most features work on Fido (data, actually making calls, etc.), but until Fido updates to the current decade's international standards I don't see call display or text message timestamps working correctly. I understand there is a reason providers have branded/locked phones for compatibility, but fundamental services such as text messages and incoming name display has been working on my unlocked phone for years before I got WP7.

Not only that, but they can't be blind to the fact that a lot of customers have smartphones from different manufacturers, and smartphones, generating obscene rates for data, are a huge income source. It's time they realized their market value and started fixing these problems.

Canada is the technological backwater of the world. This experience with outdated networks just proves that even more. 

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello TuxTux,

I am sorry to learn of your recent difficulties with your handset.

It seems as if the call display with name display feature is not comptible with your handset, something that sometimes happen with non-Fido phones.

As for the timestamp issue, I would suggest entering the data and time manually instead of having it done autmatically via the network. It should help you with this matter. If not, you may as well try to proceed with a master reset of your handset. You may find a how-to within your user guide.

To test if the handset or our services is the problem, I would invite you to put your SIM card into a Fido handset to see if the issue persists. If not, the issue would be with the phone itself. If it does persist, I would invite you to call in to have this matter further looked into with our technical support team.

Let us know how it goes Smiley

Rubeto
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I had the same problem using an unlocked WP7 LG Optimus phone. The problem is the "Name display". Call FIDO and tell them to only give you the CallerID service WITHOUT the name display feature and from now on it will work.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@ Rubeto

Thanks for your input!

RedRooster