Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Phone work on Fido network?

Sat10
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new One+ 7T phone.

Want to make sure this phone will work on Fido/Rogers network?

Below are the Bands provided by One+.

Bands (NA)

FDD-LTE: B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,30,46,66,71
TDD-LTE: B34,38,39,41,48
UMTS: B1,2,4,5,8,9,19
CDMA: BC0,BC1,BC10
GSM: B2,3,5,8
6 REPLIES 6

Sat10

Thanks @Cawtau 

I was searching more on the One+ website and found one more piece of information on LTE bands for One+ 7T.

Do I need to consider any of the below bands when using One+ 7T on Fido?

LTE/LTE-A:

4×4 MIMO, LTE Cat. 18, DL 5CA, UL CA, Supports up to DL Cat18 /UL Cat13 (1.2Gbps /150Mbps), depending on carrier support

Hello again,

@Sat10 wrote:...

LTE/LTE-A:

4×4 MIMO, LTE Cat. 18, DL 5CA, UL CA, Supports up to DL Cat18 /UL Cat13 (1.2Gbps /150Mbps), depending on carrier support

Those are not bands or frequencies. They are specifications for the LTE protocols and capabilities supported by the device. You can get more information here and here. The Fido/Rogers network does support those specifications, however, the connection by which your phone connects would depend on many factors including location, signal strength, etc.

@Sat10 wrote:... then why Fido is offering "Bring Your Own Phone" plans, If they are not providing their full services to Wifi-calling and voLTE compatible phone that are not purchased from Fido?..

To clarify, the Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) terminology is not really applicable anymore. The term was used to denote plans which did not contain any subsidy towards devices. However, Fido recently switched to a financed or tab model for their device purchases. With this model, the plans do not have any monies going toward devices. If you wish to finance a device, the monthly cost for the device would be additional.

Fido allows those services on devices which have been fully tested on the networks.

@Cawtau  wrote:... Fido has recently allowed those features on certain grey-market non-Fido devices (Samsung Galaxy devices newer than S8 and some LG devices)...

With regards to Apple devices, it was a non-issue as iOS devices purchased from elsewhere didn't have the same problems accessing those features.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @Sat10!

To access LTE network, you only need to consider the following:

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and/or
  • Band 7 (2600 MHz) and/or
  • Band 12 (700 MHz)

As Cawtau mentionned, your phone should work on our network.

Sat10

Thanks @FidoPhilippe .

I was reading other posts in this forum regarding Wifi-calling and voLTE.

Wifi-calling and voLTE will only works on phones that Sold by Fido.

Is this means if I am buying phone from Apple Store or Samsung Canada store, that phone will also missing Wifi-calling and voLTE services from Fido?

If Yes, then why Fido is offering "Bring Your Own Phone" plans, If they are not providing their full services to Wifi-calling and voLTE compatible phone that are not purchased from Fido?

Thanks

Hello @Sat10,

Fido started making those features available on compatible non-Fido devices starting from the Galaxy S8.

It has to be a device Fido supports since Fido does not offer the ONE+ phones its most likely the features will not work.

They offer BYOP plans because most people go for Samsung, LG or Apple phones or people that got a phone from Fido before would continue to use the phone with BYOP plans.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sat10,

Welcome to the community!

@Sat10 wrote:...Below are the Bands provided by One+.

Bands (NA)

FDD-LTE: B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,30,46,66,71
TDD-LTE: B34,38,39,41,48
UMTS: B1,2,4,5,8,9,19
CDMA: BC0,BC1,BC10
GSM: B2,3,5,8

According to those specifications, that phone should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for the networks. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

While the phone should work on the networks, you should note that since OnePlus devices are not offered by Fido, it's unlikely certain features (ie Wifi-calling and voLTE) will work. Fido has recently allowed those features on certain grey-market non-Fido devices (Samsung Galaxy devices newer than S8 and some LG devices). However, OnePlus phones would not be considered grey-market devices.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers