cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi repeater

Chris-D
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

When I'm travelling in Mexico and it's paid WIFI often you pay per device. My Samsung galaxy S5 phone is apparently configurable to allow it to connect to WIFI and then become a wifi repeater so I can connect a second or 3rd device to it. I have read up on this but can't find settings to do this. I can only find options to connect other devices if my phone is using a mobile connection. Not a good idea while roaming. Do I need to get Fido to enable this option or is there no way to do this?

** Edited to add labels **

2 REPLIES 2

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Chris-D if you want to connect a laptop you should be able to use a USB cable from the phone to the laptop and enable USB tethering.

There is an app called fqrouter2 that can make your android into a repeater but it requires root. You can get details here and here

The S5 does not have that feature built in but Samsung did introuduce that feature in the S7 and S& Edge see here.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Chris-D & welcome to the Community! Smiley

This is the first time that I've heard of this option. I did some research but it unfortunately came out as inconclusive. I'd suggest that you contact Samsung directly to find out if this is a feature that's actually built into the phone. You can reach them at 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864).

Keep us posted!