cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling does not work

Agnes_F
I'm a contributor level 1

I am now in China and I try to use the wifi calling. Though I got the Fido wifi signal on my iPhone, my friends in Canada failed to call me. One of them said the system said my number was unavailable, and the other one said the system made a more frequent and rapid dialing sound. Under neither of the situation I got the phone call. How should I deal with it?

(it may be related to the firewall created by China gov, but I already used VPN to avoid the probelm)

9 REPLIES 9

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Agnes_F,

Welcome to the community!

What VPN service are you using? Where did you set it up? To which Country are you connected? Are you able to make a call using Wifi-calling? You should note that some Wifi-calling usage abroad is considered roaming and would be charged as such. Are you using public Wifi or your own Wifi? It's possible the router is not set-up for Wifi-calling or is not capable of the feature.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Agnes_F

Forgot to say, thank you so much for the answer, I got something to dig with.😂

Agnes_F

I also tried to connect with my personal hotspot instead of my router, still failed to make a phone call.(´・Д・)」

Hello again,

While I haven't been able to find any information specifically related Fido, many providers do mention that their service is not available in some Countries like China. I'm not sure is the service would be restricted from South Korea as well. You might consider trying to connect to a different Country.

**edit** Though, as mentioned above, certain Wifi-calling usage connecting to different Countries would be considered roaming and subject to Fido Roam charges**

**edit** Have you placed any roaming blocks on your line? You might consider verifying that there are no roaming blocks set up on your line**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Agnes_F

Thank you soooo much! it's so nice of you to tell me so many things. I'll keep trying!

*Latest news, I tried a VPN set up in Canada to make a wifi calling, still failed. 

Agnes_F

I finally find the problem😶 it's because my plan does not include phone call. I thought it meant except the plan, I need to pay extra fees for phone calls, but it actually means I cannot pick up or make phone calls literally. 

Hello again,

Ah, that would explain why it doesn't work. Wifi-calling is not the same as other voIP services such as WhatsApp etc. Other voIP services count as data while Wifi-calling counts as call minutes and text messages. As such, you would need a plan with Talk in order to avail of the call minutes.

Thanks for the update 😀

Cheers

Agnes_F

Thank you so much for the explanation! and all the helps!

Agnes_F

I tried to make a phone call through wifi calling, but no matter I opened the VPN or not  I failed. Under both of the situation the system said my home cellular company has not authorized the private service. Also, my VPN is set up in South Korea.