cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there no APN settings on my SIM card?

Tysonator12
I'm a participant level 3

I just switched from Rogers with my unlocked Sprint S7. There are no APN settings on this SIM card. Is this normal? I can make calls, receive texts, but no MMS nor data.

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Tysonator12,

Welcome to the community!

The APN settings are done on the phone, not on the SIM card, see here for instruction and the APN setting required for Fido.

Tysonator12

I wish that the Fido agent would have mentioned that to me when he was setting up the account for me. This was certainly not a plug and play situation.☹️

Hello Tysonator12,

Welcome to the community!

I think whether or not a phone is able to access the APN settings on the SIM is dependent on the phone itself. Some devices are able to access the APN settings on the SIM. As mentioned in the other thread you in which you posted, the Sprint version of the S7 is CDMA-based (see here). Since CDMA networks doesn't use SIMs, they don't require APNs per se. However, APNs would be required for accessing the '3G' and LTE networks. It's possible those versions don't automatically access the APN settings on the SIM itself.

By the sounds of your other posts, you appear to have successfully added an APN and send MMS.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers