cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which phones allow custom ringtones from mp3's?

karlinka
I'm a participant level 2

I need to upgrade my handset and I want one that lets me set my own custom ringtones.

Does anyone know whcih Fido phones allow this? 

It used to be so easy to do this on the older phones, but it seems many newer phones don't support this. For instance, my friend just got an LG Xenon which doesn't allow custom ringtones.

10 REPLIES 10

richt2k
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
Also the Nokia C6

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

The iPhone supports custom ringtones. Search on Google for a tutorial; it's quite simple.

Geek
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

I use custom .WAV ringtunes on my Sony Ericsson Cedar (J108). They SAY in the manual they allow MP3 ringtunes, but be darned if I can get any of them to work.

Cheers! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geek:

Thats how a lot of other phones work too.  They support MP3, but it has to contain a Licence ie: you have to PAY for it through a ringtone store.  you can put your own mp3s on a phone  but they will just be that, MP3s for playback, not for the purpose of ringtone.

You also discovered that ringtones are not solely MP3 format, they can be .Wave .AMR, or other formats depending on the phone.  Some of these formats such as Wav may not support DRM so thats why you CAN use them in some cases. 

Geek
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Hi Paolo,

I did buy two ringtones through Amazon.com... they did not work.

I write my own MP3's under a Creative Commons license and Sony Ericsson admitted they cannot legally prohibit me from using my own music, but said they never encountered such an issue and had not an idea how to assist. 

Go figure that one out? *shrug*

Cheers! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geek:

Look for a program called SonyEricsson DRM Packager.  This should help you with your Creative Commons licence.

Geek
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Thanks!

Interesting, the instructions are there for the Linux version (which I need), but there is no *nix download, LOL!

Well, good thing wifey uses XP...

Cheers! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
of course newer phones dont support this, and more and more phones will not support this in future. the window of phones is getting smaller and smalelr untill all of them require drm'd ringtones. im just letting you know incase you have no idea how the industry is evolving

karlinka

Oh, thanks for the info. I didn't know that!

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
Blackberry's can still use MP3 format files as ringtones. Those are the only phone that I'm 100% certain of.