cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When buying a phone outright from Fido, does it come unlocked?

Mike2k16
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone outright from Fido, and I'm on a month to month BYOD plan with fido currently.

Does this phone come unlocked, or is it tied to Fido and would require unlocking if I want to switch carriers?

Reason I'm asking is because I will be buying another phone outright for someone else.  The phone is cheaper at costco than at Fido, but the costco description says that it will lock to the first carrier it connects to (so it is not an unlocked phone then).  if the phone I outright bought from fido is locked, then obviously I would go to costco to get another phone, if not I'd probably just get it from Fido as I'd like it be unlocked.

**Edited to add label

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Mike2k16 All phone from Fido comes locked regardless if you buy it outright or take it on a contract. There is a $50 fee to have the phone unlock, more info here.

Mike2k16

Ah ok, so I guess in my case there's no reason to buy a Galaxy S7 from Fido for $910, if Costco has it for $849.99 as technically both will be locked.

@Mike2k16 I totally understand your point and I would do the same but the only downside is if you will be using the phone on the Fido network some features might not work, example WiFi calling.