cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading before contract is over...

jakem82
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

So I got my 8520 in june 2010, I'm thinking of upgrading to the upcoming Nexus S in June because I got a $60 warranty on my 8520 and the Fido guy told me I would be able to use that $60 on a new phone if I dont send my phone in for fixing. I also will have around 50 fido dollars so I'd like to use that too. My question is will I be able to upgrade to the Nexus S by renewing my 3 year plan and get it for the $100 because I was able to do that kind of stuff at my previous provider.  Basically instead of my contract ending in June 2013 it'll end in June 2014. I don't want to be stuck with my 8520 for 2 more years and dont want to pay $450-$500 for the Nexus S. And if you cannot talk about the Nexus S yet pretend I'm getting the Acer Wink

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey guys! 

I know this thread is pretty old but I thought I might just add some updated information Smiley 

Basically, in order to be able to process an early upgrade, you need to buy out of your remaining agreement. The buyout fees are only waived if you have less than 30 days remaining to the agreement. In other words, 10yearfido was indeed correct about the 6 months early upgrade; however it is no longer applicable. 

Hope this helps! Wink

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Unless that release special rules for the Nexus S, as they have for the iPhone launches, you cannot upgrade with subsidy until the last 6 months of your contract. Regardless of when you upgrade, your contract will always stack with Fido, so in Jan 2013 you will be eligible and your contract then will extend until June 2016.

Your option now is to buy it at full price or somehow convince them they need to give you a special early upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable
if your not looking to drop loads of money to buy new phones, just keep your 8520 and continue to use it if theres nothing wrong with it.