cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking & Purchasing Subsidized iPhone

aver
I'm a participant level 2

So I will be travelling to the states in early Janurary and would like to use my iPhone as a GPS during my travels. Unfortunaetly Fido's travel packs cost much more money than I can afford and I don't want the nightmare bill situation ($1,000+ in roaming fees). 

So I just signed up for a new 3 year contract and relaized that I cannot unlock my phone while on subsidy. So what I am wondering is if I can do the following:

- Buy out my current contract (pay for the remaining subsidy)

- Sign up for a new month to month contract / Keep my current plan but without a phone subsidy

- Unlock my iPhone 

- Travel with my iPhone

- Stay with FIDO Smiley

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey Everyone! 

I just saw this thread and I thought I'd provide some updated information about the unlocking procedure in case anyone else were to come across this. Smiley

- Now, to unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:

• If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
    • If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
    • If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.

- A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.

- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.

- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.

- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.

I hope this helps! 

Vishaul

You can download the Nokia Here App for free and it allows you to save maps to use offline, I bought Tomtom for the iPhone 3 years ago, so don't really have need for the Nokia Here offline feature, but I use it as a replacement for iOS Maps.

yerkel

I got the message from a Fido call center rep today that it was going to be Fido's policy as of March 28th 2013 that they would unlock a phone, even in a contract, after 90 days.

soundwave
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

If you just want to use your iphone as a GPS. I would highly recommend to get Navigon for the iphone. It stores the map data on the phone so you don't have to use any data at all. It is $60 i think. I have used it when i travelled in the states and overseas as well.

Hope that helps.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@aver wrote:

So I will be travelling to the states in early Janurary and would like to use my iPhone as a GPS during my travels. Unfortunaetly Fido's travel packs cost much more money than I can afford and I don't want the nightmare bill situation ($1,000+ in roaming fees). 

So I just signed up for a new 3 year contract and relaized that I cannot unlock my phone while on subsidy. So what I am wondering is if I can do the following:

- Buy out my current contract (pay for the remaining subsidy)

- Sign up for a new month to month contract / Keep my current plan but without a phone subsidy

- Unlock my iPhone 

- Travel with my iPhone

- Stay with FIDO Smiley

Thanks

Yes, their unlock policy allows for exactly what you are asking. You can call in explain you would like to have your iPhone unlocked. They will explain that you canot while you still have obligations (contract) tied to the phone. They should then explain that you can pay off your contract and then become eligible for unlock. Accept this if it is acceptable to you. They will charge you the termination fee and then transfer you to the unlock team. They will verify the status of your contract and the charge you $50 and unlock you iPhone.

You can keep your existing plan exactly as it is now, unless you want to switch to something cheaper that wasn't allowed for iPhones, like the new $57 Smart Plan (their best value but the don't allow it for 3 year contracts required for iPhone). Since you will have paid off you contract, you would be allowed to take any plan you want.

This is one area I would like to see Fido improve. Other Canadian carriers, which shall remain unnamed, allow you to unlock you iPhone after 90 days if you bought it on contract for $35. Fido needs to step up and take the lead. There is no reason to lock the phones to begin with, but if they are going to lock them, if a customer is willing to pay good money to unlock, why prevent them from unlocking at any time? Seems like throwing money and goodwill out the window.

aver

You wouldn't happen to know what the subsidy is on the new iPhone 5's are? I bought the 16g for $179, so I am assuming the Subsidy is either $500 or $520 ?

Thanks again for all the help.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@aver wrote:

You wouldn't happen to know what the subsidy is on the new iPhone 5's are? I bought the 16g for $179, so I am assuming the Subsidy is either $500 or $520 ?

Thanks again for all the help.

$520 for all iPhone 5's, $700-$180, $800-$280, $900-$380.

They break it into two parts, the DSRF and the ADSRF. One part,A DSRF, is always $50 and the other, DSRF, is the remainder, in the case of the iPhone $470. This higher portion decreases by 1/36 every month into your term until the end.