cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve Data Pass Question

SG7
I'm a participant level 3

About a month ago, I bough an unlocked BlackBerry Curve as I didn't want to be "forced" into any sort of contract & and couldn't afford the $400 it would cost me to get a BlackBerry without being on a contract.

What I want to know, is if the weekly & or monthly data passes will work on my BlackBerry and how do I set them up.  I tried to get the option to purchase a pass to come up on my browser as the website suggests & nothing came up, not even the internet.  Also tried texting to get the link sent to me as the website suggests & when I try to access the link it says "HTTP error 404: Not Found"  and goes on to say "The page you are trying to load could not be found. Please try loading a different page".  I turned off the wifi on my BB making sure it wasn't picking up my wireless router.

Any suggestions?  Or does the data passes not work on an unlocked BlackBerry?

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
its not compatible with data day pass, blackberries are given access based on service books. without the service book on your phone you cant surf to get a day pass you need to yup you guessed it SURF to a particular page. if one of the equation is missing then it wont workie, perhaps you can use another phone to buy the data day pass, so the data will work on fidos end, but who knows if they push the BB service book which is required for your bb to surf. any otther phone will be fine because they dont use service books

SG7

Ok.  So I broke down and called customer support.  They were able to get me set up with the monthly data pass.  However later on in the afternoon, I go to surf the net & surprise, surprise I get an error "This is a Wi-Fi service.  Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again".  WT???

So I try a few different things like turning off the wifi, power cycling my phone etc.  Still not able to get on the internet.  So I call up customer support again.  And after about 15 minutes.  All the guy could tell me was that my account was set up with the data pass & to powercycle my phone again.  And if that didn't work to call back.  Well I didn't have time to call back.  And was hoping I'd be able to use it while I am out tomorrow. 

Is there something I have to do to enable it so I can surf the net or am I just doing something wrong?  I am on a BB curve and was trying to access the internet through the internet icon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

its always been the case where if you have a data plan and tried using it with a blackberry it never worked before, never will work now.  they have a specific data plan that includes a special access point that is solely required for blackberries to surf.

it seems like the data day pass may not include this special access point,   i dont know for usre cus i dont use data day passes, i have a blackberry but i am using a monthly blackberry data plan with mine,  no problems with mine it works fine