cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System error when updating sim card online

Sam11L
I'm a participant level 2

Got a new Samsung S10 phone, upgrading from an old S5. Can't get the SIM card out of the old phone, so using the card sent with the new phone. When I try to upgrade the SIM online, keep getting "System error". Checked the card in the slot, no issue there. Been trying for 24 hours, if it's really a system error, I would think Fido would have fixed it by now.

Short of going to a Fido store to check the card, anything I can do online?

5 REPLIES 5

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Sam11L,

Welcome to the community!

Did you enter the old SIM card number then the new one?

Sam11L

Hi KAPABLE-K:

Yes I did. Exactly what the site asks for.  

Hello @Sam11L,

If it is still not working online for you then I would suggest you contact customer service and they can update the SIM card for you.

You can reach out to the through any of the available methods listed here, alternatively you can also send a private message to @FidoSolutions  here in the community and a moderator can assist you.

Sam11L

Thanks KAPABLE-K

I did phone technical support and I got my answer. Fido already matched the new SIM card to the old phone number. But I am upgrading 2 phones, so using one SIM Card to upgrade it to the other phone (i.e. the old SIM card of the other phone) does not work. The new SIM card HAS to match the SIM card number of the phone it was issued to. My second phone and SIM card is arriving tomorrow.

Fido never said that in the instructions that the new SIM card is already matched to the phone number.

Thanks for your interest and help.. 

Hello @Sam11L,

Good to hear you got it figured out.

When doing a upgrade and it comes with a SIM card that card is preactivated for that specific number.

I wish they would not do that, if the old SIM is still good the new one can be put to better use.

Enjoy your new S10!