cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Wyanita
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I live in Canada and am traveling to the states. I have an iPhone 4 and am putting on a text and minutes travel package but not a data plan. I have a couple questions -

1. How do I turn off the roaming on my data without turning off my cellular?

2. I've been told in Vegas that there are tons of hotspots for free wifi. Is there a way I can leave my phone in a mode that will find them and notify me without having to manually check or change settings all the time?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey Wyanita!

In order to ensure that no data roaming charges are billed to your account, you would have to turn Off both Data roaming and Cellular data within your phone's settings. This will block any connection to the internet while still allowing you to place and receive calls as well as to send and receive text messages.

As for the WiFi, you may leave WiFi On at all times. Your phone will offer you to connect to local networks when some are available. Once you have connected to it once, if you go back to the same area, it will connect to it automatically.

I hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Hello everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it .

Roaming tips 

Here are some roaming tips to help you stay in control of your roaming charges on your next trip outside Canada:

• Turning data roaming on/off:
    • Most devices have an option to turn data roaming turned on or off. If data roaming is turned off, you won’t be able to use data services even if you have purchased a Travel Pack that includes data. If you want to use data while roaming, make sure that you turn data roaming ON. You can find this under devices settings.
  • Changing your email settings from “push to “pull”:
    • Emails can automatically download to your device without direct action from you. If you do not need to be alerted immediately by an incoming email, set your device so that it only downloads new emails when you manually check it. Instructions on how to do this are specific to each device. However, you can typically find this under the “settings” menu on your device.
  • Turning off applications running in the background:
    • On some devices, applications can run in the background even if you’re not using them. These applications can consume data without direct action from you and lead to unexpected charges. Stay in control of how and when you use data by shutting off applications that you are no longer using.
  • Keeping track of your data roaming charges in real-time:
    • Text USAGE to 3330 at any time for your data roaming pay-per-use and/or Travel Pack data overage charges. This text message is free of charge.

Note: If you have been subscribed to Fido for less than 90 days, you will be restricted from calling outside the country you are visiting (except for calling back to Canada). If you plan to make international calls from anywhere outside North America, call 6-1-1 free of charge from your Fido phone or 1-888-481-3436 to activate international calling. If your account has a credit limit, click here to know more about the possible restrictions.

Using a LTE device?

LTE technology is currently available for compatible LTE devices in select travel destinations. Outside of LTE coverage areas, Fido LTE devices will seamlessly fall back to 4G HSPA+ or EDGE technologies where data roaming is supported. Check out if your travel destination has LTE coverage here.

Compatible phones and frequencies

All Fido phones and devices are compatible with network frequencies in the U.S. For other countries, verify the coverage availability and the network frequencies of your destination to make sure that your phone will work. Not sure what frequencies your phone or device supports? Verify your phone frequency. If its frequencies are not compatible with the network you will be using, you can consult our great selection of phones and buy one in a Fido point of sale. Don't forget, you can even use your FidoDollars™ to reduce the price of your new phone!

Also, don't forget to check the electricity voltage of your destination and buy and adapter for your phone charger if needed!

Enjoy your trip & hope this helps!

Hey everyone, 

Just a heads up, something awesome is coming...

Check it out

Heads' up everyone! 

Fido Roam is here! Check it out