cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting a stolen/lost phone. IMEI?

doesntwantanacc
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I lost my phone recently in an acquaintance's vehicle about a week and a half ago. I have been trying to get in contact with them ever since, to no avail. I've given up on the concept of them returning what isn't theirs, and am taking matters into my own hands. If I suspend my Fido services will it also blacklist my IMEI? I have a hunch that they removed the sim card, making the suspension of services pointless.

Honestly, I'm torn between "the phone is dead and they haven't noticed it under their seat" and "they noticed the phone, turned it off, removed the battery, and swapped the sim card." The first time I tried ringing the phone, it went to voice mail after two rings, and goes straight to voicemail ever since, so it's probably the latter. 

If disabling services doesn't automatically blacklist my IMEI, I'd like to do that as well.  Please contact me in PM to work this out, as over-the-phone service is extremely frustrating to work with. I've already left a message at my local police station requesting the same, as I'm covering every base.

Thank you.

*** Edited to add tags and labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

kewnert
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

If I were in your situation, I would contact Fido to get my IMEI (unless I already had it), let them know that it is stolen/lost, and then report the IMEI to the police station. Even if someone changes the SIM card, the IMEI number is unique to your specific device.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Doesntwantanacc,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your phone.

@doesntwantanacc wrote:
...I'm torn between "the phone is dead and they haven't noticed it under their seat" and "they noticed the phone, turned it off, removed the battery, and swapped the sim card." The first time I tried ringing the phone, it went to voice mail after two rings, and goes straight to voicemail ever since, so it's probably the latter. ...

I'm not sure of your relationship to this acquaintance and the reason why you might suspect they have swapped the SIM. However, if your only evidence is that calling your number now goes straight to voicemail, you should note that calls will also go straight to voicemail if your phone's battery is dead.

It's not unfathomable that the acquaintance was not in the vehicle at the time you initially called your phone (rang twice) and now your battery is dead...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey,

Welcome to our Community, @doesntwantanacc! Smiley

That's really a terrible situation, sorry for your phone! I've been through something similar recently and I know how frustrating it is! 

Adding restrictions to your line won't automatically add the IMEI to the blacklist. It's something that we can look into though.

I'll send you a PM right away!

For future reference, if you have any account related questions, you can also reach out to us through one of the channels mentioned by @KAPABLE-K in his link.

Talk to you soon Smiley

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hi @doesntwantanacc sorry to hear about your phone.

Suspending your service won't black list the IMEI you have to inform Fido that the phone has been lost/stolen and they can blacklist the IMEI. 

You can reach out the them through any of the available methods here.