Renewing Customer, no promotions?

Renewing Customer, no promotions?

Renewing Customer, no promotions?

I'm a Participant Level 1

Renewing Customer, no promotions?

Hello all,

 

My 2 yr Fido contract is set to expire in about a month and I am looking to get the Samsung Galaxy S4. I wanted the $39 talk and data plan and was hoping to get some sort of incentive to renew my contract with Fido but I still have to pay what any new customer would pay. I don't need any of the max plans and the $39 plan fits my needs perfectly yet the phone is still $450. Is this the case for everybody? If so, what is pulling me to choose to renew with Fido?

 

 

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6
Fido Employee

unfortunately with devices, the price you see, is the price you get. With the new rules that the CRTC has come out with, it is going to be the new cost of devices. On 2 years , you will be looking at high costs OR higher than normal price plans.   Your incentive would be getting Fido$ which with the new rules can really help when upgrading, since it can knock off anywheres from $50 to $200 or more, depending on your situation.  The $39 PP is very competitive with what is out there right now. If your internet usage can fit the bill, you will not get a better option.   Knowing your options is key and it would benefit you to speak to a rep and tell them what you want and your price point and see that their level if it can be taken care of or if retention would be fit for you, with your loyalty they may provide you a discount.



I'm Experienced Level 3

I suggest you take out your calculator and you'll soon realize that the S4 for $450 on a $39 plan is a great deal compared to the providers that charge $199 for the phone and make you sign 3-year contracts with much higher price plans. Even if you pay the full $700 for the phone you're better off than taking a $65 **bleep** plan for 3 years.

 

Regards.

I'm an Expert Level 2


@justin_Credible wrote:

I suggest you take out your calculator and you'll soon realize that the S4 for $450 on a $39 plan is a great deal compared to the providers that charge $199 for the phone and make you sign 3-year contracts with much higher price plans. Even if you pay the full $700 for the phone you're better off than taking a $65 **bleep** plan for 3 years.

 

Regards.


Using that logic, which is sound, then one would be best to avoid buying any phone from Fido or any other carrier and alway buy it full price and unlocked. The higher upfront cost, as you say, will be offset by cheaper plans. And by having your full price, unlocked phone, you can jump around to any and all carriers, at any given month, to whichever will give you the best plan price at that moment. Ideally, then, we would all avoid ever locking into a contract for a phone.

 

Most carriers will absolutely hate that idea. They love/need customers to lock into long term contracts. Otherwise they have to compete only on price. Churn would go through the roof. Carriers like Wind and TMobile in the US are trying to make this type of model the status quo because it would benefit them significantly. The incumbents and large carriers hate the idea.

 

 

I'm not sure the carrier employees would like it either, given layoffs would be bound to happen as cost cutting measures are brought into place to allow them to lower prices. No longer selling phones would also mean fewer staff are needed, even without having to make up for lower prices.

I'm Qualified Level 3

@10yearfido, Justin_Credible's post doesn't sound like he supports jumping monthly to carriers with the lowest price with an unlock phone. He is mearly stating its best to avoid 3 year plans that are higher priced with fewer benefits no matter how attractive the phone subsidy is.  I fully agree to Justin on this.  If phone companies really like longer contracts why would they structure their 2&3 yr plans as they are now?

 

Moot point with upcoming CRTC changes, but I would sign up for a 3 year plan if mobile carriers would give an additional credit to their existing 2yr offerings.  The carriers get 1 more year out of me and I get an additional savings over 3 years compared to a normal 2 yr contract.

 

 

 

I'm an Expert Level 2


@Wufai wrote:

@10yearfido, Justin_Credible's post doesn't sound like he supports jumping monthly to carriers with the lowest price with an unlock phone. He is mearly stating its best to avoid 3 year plans that are higher priced with fewer benefits no matter how attractive the phone subsidy is.  I fully agree to Justin on this.  If phone companies really like longer contracts why would they structure their 2&3 yr plans as they are now?

 

Moot point with upcoming CRTC changes, but I would sign up for a 3 year plan if mobile carriers would give an additional credit to their existing 2yr offerings.  The carriers get 1 more year out of me and I get an additional savings over 3 years compared to a normal 2 yr contract.

 

 


Obviously he was not explicitly recommending jumping around to different carriers. He is a Fido employee and that wouldn't be in his best interest. I was explaining that his suggestion that the "math" says paying more upfront and less for the plan is the smarter move, taken to it's logical extension, means that a customer should use that identical math to recognize that indeed paying more upfront to save on you plan is better in the long term. At that this means the very best case would be to pay full price and move carriers at will to obtain the best plan price. That's the point. If he is suggesting paying more in exchange for lower plan prices, then the optimal implementation of that is to pay full price and be free of any carrier commitments.

 

As I said, his logic is sound. I just don't think he thought it all the way through.

I'm an Expert Level 2


@NickX wrote:

Hello all,

 

My 2 yr Fido contract is set to expire in about a month and I am looking to get the Samsung Galaxy S4. I wanted the $39 talk and data plan and was hoping to get some sort of incentive to renew my contract with Fido but I still have to pay what any new customer would pay. I don't need any of the max plans and the $39 plan fits my needs perfectly yet the phone is still $450. Is this the case for everybody? If so, what is pulling me to choose to renew with Fido?


If you sign up for a 3 year contract on a Max plan, likely the phone will be cheaper. For the higher end phones, to get the maximum discount you need to sign up for the more expensive Max plans and commit to an extra year, so it's sort of a dual penalty (thankfully that changes with the new CRTC rules in Dec, so you will only be penalized with perhaps needing the more expensive plans).

 

I would suggest you call in and ask to speak to retentions. Shop around and see what other carriers are offering. Telus often has promos on where they will give you a signup bonus as a new customers for porting your number over, sometimes a few hundred dollars. Once you know what is available in terms of prices and incentives for you to move to a new carrier for the S4 at the best price for the phone and best prices for plans, call Fido and explain what you are considering with another carrier. This will hopefully get them to be a little more flexible with you.