cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHONE SHAMING: Would you buy the LG G4? (re: problems with screen splitting & boot looping)

NatSmith
I'm a participant level 3

Hey Friends,

Would you buy the LG G4 if your sales rep told you that it makes the most trips to the repair shop.

Several sales reps in a Fido store today convinced me that the G4 was chalk-full of manufacturing defects. Later, I found dozens of angry forums where people reported notorious problems like a glitch where the screen splits and freezes, and the notorious LG boot-up loop. However, sales reps from every other phone provider in the mall unanimously told me to go with the G4, and denied any claims that it has any defects. Am I being played? 

My question to the community is: Would you buy the LG G4, knowing that many people are reporting problems with it?

Thanks for your time and help!

Nat

***Edited to add Labels***

34 REPLIES 34

ls89
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I bought the G4 on the recommendation of a sales person at Fido and had it for 9 months before it went into a reboot loop. LG told me no problem this is an ongoing problem with the G4's and gave me the address of a company to send the phone to.

About 3 days after I sent my phone in I received an estimate from the repair company for $655... 

LG FINALLY agreed to have my phone fixed after spending an entire day on the phone with them. 

Long story short, it has been a month and I still do not have my phone... 

It is not worth the headache. 

Hey @Is89 and welcome to the Community.

Sorry to see that you didn't get your phone back yet.

I would like to take a look at your account to see what happened.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon Smiley

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey NatSmith, 

On my end I've only heard good things about the LG G4 but then again we don't send phones for repair here. 

Let's see if anyone from the @Community has something to say about this. 

NatSmith

Thank you,

It is possible to find plenty of angry reviews from customers, online. Is this normal for every kind of phone? I can't find the same negative reviews about the Galaxy S5 Neo, for example.

The LG G4 does have a bootloop problem that is hardware related LG finally acknowledge the issue and will fix all affected devices you can read about here.

NatSmith

Awesome, thank you for the link!

However, it is still strange that the Fido store did not mention this. They suggested that I would be out of luck if anything happened to my G4.

I am going to give LG a call to investigate their warranty policy.

Thank you so much!

I'm a participant level 2

@NatSmith wrote:

Awesome, thank you for the link!

However, it is still strange that the Fido store did not mention this. They suggested that I would be out of luck if anything happened to my G4.

I am going to give LG a call to investigate their warranty policy.

Thank you so much!

I got the dreaded bootloop screen on my lgg4 last week. 7months on the warranty. 

I lost all data on my phone, of course and had to send it for repair. Apparently it could take a month... After reading on google about all the issues, I have asked Fido to send me a lg g4 and I would pay the difference, $100. They say no. They also said that if lg sends a brand new phone my warranty would only be for the 5 months remaining not for a full year. 

The new phone could also get the bootloop in few months. 

I am not happy. Since it is a very well documented issue, Fido should have let me replace this lemon phone with another and let me pay the difference. 

I am thinking about leaving Fido for this reason after almost 15y with them. A shame. 

Hey @1193749

Wow.. That's a really tough situation right there.

I really hate to see that you have all that trouble with your phone.

And we really don't want to see you leave Fido. I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into Smiley

Talk to you soon.

I had the exact same problem few months ago. My lgg4 was stuck in the bootloop. It was sent for repair but I asked Fido to send me a lgg5 instead, and let me pay the difference in price, $100.
I read that unfortunately the bootloop thing happens again and again on "repaired" phones.
Fido denied my request even though they acknowledged that the lgg4 was a lemon.
When I mentioned that my phone will be off its warranty soon, I was told that I should be more careful with my device!
It is a hardware malfunction!
My phone is now off warranty, 2 weeks off, and showing signs of degradation on boot, again.
I am upset because Fido knows that the lgg4 is a lemon and choose not to help their customers who want to pay some money to have a different phone.
I've been with Fido close to 14y, referred my son and few friends to Fido over the years and now have one more year in my contract. I am considering leaving Fido by then because of the way this issue was handled.
Would have been much easier to let me have another phone and let me pay the $100 difference.

Hi @1193749!

We can't simply exchange your device and you pay the difference towards a new phone. You still have an agreement on that phone that needs to be paid out.

What I can suggest is you visit a Fido store with the device, and benefit from the FidoTrade program, you'll obtain a trade-in value that you can use towards a new phone. 

I can take a look at your current buy out fee if you want, what you think?

Skywalkerblue06
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2
Last week my LGG4 died because bootloop issue since I have 20 day left before my warranty expired so I sended for repair. But now I am afraid if same issue bootloop happen again after warranty who will be responsible repair since LG acknowledged that it ls there hardware issue. I still have over one year worth of tab balance I cant afford to purchase new phone now.

Hey @Skywalkerblue06

So sad to hear about your phone Sad . Since you sent the phone for repair, the faulty piece of hardware would be replaced at no cost and this issue shouldn't reproduce itself. rest assured.

I got the dreaded bootloop screen on my lgg4 last week. 7months on the warranty. 

I lost all data on my phone, of course and had to send it for repair. Apparently it could take a month... After reading on google about all the issues, I have asked Fido to send me a lg g4 and I would pay the difference, $100. They say no. They also said that if lg sends a brand new phone my warranty would only be for the 5 months remaining not for a full year. 

The new phone could also get the bootloop in few months. 

I am not happy. Since it is a very well documented issue, Fido should have let me replace this lemon phone with another and let me pay the difference. 

I am thinking about leaving Fido for this reason after almost 15y with them. A shame. 

A co-worker and I have recently gotten LG G4s, I've had mine since Black Friday and I've had zero issues. I personally haven't heard anything bad about the G4, and the only issues I've had to deal with were with the LG G3.