cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novatel LTE device clarification, please?

linda99
I'm a contributor level 2

I was looking at the LTE hotspot option and in doing a little bit of research on the Novatel device, virtually all the information I came across from a web search referred to it as a *Wi-Fi* hotspot. I'm assuming by virtue of its  name on the Fido website, that this can act as a hotspot using LTE (and not WIFI exclusively)?

Thanks?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Linda99,

Are you referring to this device?

There are many names which refer to the same thing: a device which uses the mobile networks to create a small, localised internet hotspot for other devices to access. The device is listed on the Fido website as a Mifi hotspot, which stands for Mobile-Wifi (see here). They are often referred to as Wifi-hotspots as they create localised Wifi access or LTE hotspots because they are capable of accessing the LTE networks when connecting to the internet. Most newer phones can also act as Mifi devices by creating a hotspot as well.

@linda99 wrote:... this can act as a hotspot using LTE (and not WIFI exclusively)?

I'm not sure what your meaning is with that question, however, the device does not relay LTE signals nor does it access the internet via Wifi. The devices gain access to the internet via the networks (ie LTE, '3G', etc) and create a localised area of Wifi for other devices to access.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

linda99

Thank you for your reply! So if I’m understanding correctly… For example if I were out somewhere where I could only get LTE I could use the  Novatel  to access the Internet, and my device could access the Internet via the Novatel?

Hello again,

That is correct. If you were somewhere with LTE access, the Novatel device would be able to connect to the internet and create a Wifi-hotspot. Your other device(s) could then access the internet by connecting to the Novatel's hotspot via Wifi.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

linda99
Click here

Thank you for your help and useful information.

I don’t know how to set this thread as resolved.