cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5- txt msgs and hangouts

ea029
I'm a participant level 2

I am hoping that someone can help me. Txt msgs are not merged into hangouts...great, I love it. Only problem is Fido is chanrging me for data not TXTS!!!! I called fido, they say call google. I call google, they say call your provider. Anyone else have this issue? If so how did you resolve it? 

If i dwnload a 3rd party app for txtx, it will chanrge me the same way. 

Thanks in advance for your input

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

one way to stop data usage is to disable it (settings-> Mobile Networks ).

Don;t know how hangouts work since I've never installed it (apprently google droipped the old Messages app, in favore of hangouts), but I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of SMS apps in the play store (text secure, go SMS to name few ).

TheOrangeGuy
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

You can simply disable some conversations from using Hangouts:

screenshot 1.jpg 

Once you touch the green bubble icon, you can switch between Hangouts or SMS:

hangouts off 2

Otherwise, you can simply log-off completely from Hangouts and only use text messages:

screenshot 3.jpg

screenshot 4.jpg

screenshot 5.jpg

screenshot 6.jpg

puska
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

You can download Google's Messenger from Google Play and make it as your default app, and stop using Hangouts for it. That's what I did on Lolipop

fido-toronto

Nexus 5 Txt Msgs don't have any options, it is mounted to Google Hangout, and Fido charge money for using the Mobile Data;

Both Google and Fido are happy on the money, not happy the owner of the Nexus 5!!!!!

dandd
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

yes the Hangouts app would be using data since from what I understand it is similar to imessage to iPhones but this is not something that Fido would of set up to use data instead of SMS.  This should be something that Google likely requested the manufacturer of the Nexus Brand to set up by default.  Fido or any other carrier cannot dictate what uses/doesn't use data.  It would be from the Manufacturer/Operations System standpoint.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi ea029,

Within the Hangouts application on your phone, press on the three vertical dots on the upper right side, then settings, then SMS and select SMS Enabled. This should default your outgoing messages to SMS instead of using data.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. 

fido-toronto

hi, in Nexus 5, there is not such 3 bar/dot thing/

Google / Fido set up the Google Hangout as the defaut SMS, not even offer any access to change it. 

We are Hijacked by them!!!!