cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone can not connect to internet or send/receive messages.

Jedeu
I'm a participant level 2

Hi everyone, I just got a new BYOD plan with Fido and put the SIM card on my existing phone. I followed the instructions that I found on this forum and did a Factory Reset so that my phone would recognize the LTE network. However, now my phone says it's connected to LTE but I can't access any web pages or use any apps. I also noticed that I'm able to make phone calls but I can't send or receive text messages.

I tried putting the sim card in another phone and it seemed to work just fine on that phone, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered this problem before and how they went about fixing it. I'd be more than happy to share my APN settings as well.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Jedeu! Welcome to the Fido family Very_Happy

It seems your phone may not be set up correctly to work on our network, I'll give you the info on how to do that!

In terms of data, you need to ensure the correct APN settings are set up. If it's an iPhone this is usually automatic, if it's an Android you must set this up manually. You can find a step-by-step guide on how to do that here

For your texting, it's possible the correct SMSC (text messaging centre) number is not in the device. The correct one is +15149931123

The method of setting that up does vary by phone as well. 

For an iPhone, follow these steps:

1. Click the Phone icon.
  2. Choose Keypad.
  3. Input *5005*7672*+15149931123# 
  4. Press Call to program the number.

For any other type of phone you'll have to check your text messaging settings until you find the SMSC option and manually enter the number +15149931123

Please try to set those up and test it out. If it does not work, we do suggest double-checking to see if the phone you have is compatible with our network.  If it is and things still don't work you can always contact us or let us know and we'll send you a PM here on the Community! Smiley

Jedeu

Hey @FidoNick,

Thanks for the reply. I just gave all of those options a try but I can confirm that:

• The APN settings on my phone are the same as the ones from the link you gave me
  • The SMSC number is the one that you had on your post
  • My device is compatible with all 3 frequency bands for Fido's LTE network

Do I have any other options? I forgot to mention that the phone that I'm using is an LG-H831 (G5) that I got previously from Rogers, which is why I did a factory reset since I saw on another post that I needed to do that to even have the LTE signal show up on my phone.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That is definitely quite odd @Jedeu.

Did the phone experience any trouble like this when it was used with Rogers? Also, what type of error message do you get when trying to make any calls or send texts?

Finally, do you have another phone you can test your SIM in? This can help us determine if the phone itself is at fault or if it's the SIM card.

Keep us posted Smiley

Hey @Jedeu!

Did you end up figuring this out? If so, how?

Let us know!