cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More LG Gossip problems: Texting + Setting Date/Time

louielouis
I'm a participant level 2

I actually got my LG Gossip back in November. It more or less worked just fine (other than the whole part where it shuts down despite displaying a full battery. And the whole thing where this phone can be FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW AT TIMES.)

My phone shut down yesterday and I wasn't able to charge it until earlier today.

My problem:

-Cannot set date/time. I've tried several times and it just stays at the reset time. I've tried turning my phone off and on, but the time/date just keeps resetting. It's FRUSTRATING.

-It seems I can no long send or receive text messages. "Create a new message..." just leads to a little window saying "message initializing..." And that's it.

-It also seems that all of my previous sent/received texts are gone (Honestly, I can't remember if I already deleted them myself... But I'm pretty sure I didn't.)

So I don't know.

EDIT

I tried that master reset just for kicks, BUT HEY NOTHING HAPPENED and I still can't set the date/time on my phone. But I can send text messages now, apparently.

And by send, I mean I can type up messages and press send, but the message will be in my outbox FOREVER. 

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

edotensei
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

i try to text but every time press send nothing happens. very frusturating

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

with that many issues...return the phone and save yourself the grief....

....I went to a fido pos to take a gander at this device and found it so platicky...to many buttons...

pab1o85

from googling, it appears many LG phones have the random shut off problem.

from one discussion forum there are three beliefs about the cause:

1.  phone needs a software update.  this is a year old plus site so if the newer phones still have the problem, the software update fix is a lark.

2.  third party ringtones are the cause.  hard to believe, but easy enough to delete third party ringtones if you have em and then monitor to see if the shutdowns still happen,

3.  battery contacts get mucked up.  this one makes sense.  possibly the contacts flex apart, causing arcing and then the conduction path is diminished.  the fix people discussed was to use alchohol on a q-tip to clean the contacts.  if this is the cause, it is very likely to reoccur over time since the physical aspects of the phone won't change.

is LG aware of a problem?  who knows?  does anybody know?

louielouis

I don't have any other ringtones other than the default ones. I think I've hooked my phone up to the computer maybe like once.

I thinking of switching over to Wind anyways, sooo NEW PHONE. WOO

iSAW
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

I believe that the LG headset that came with the phone may also cause the phone to shut off.  I was using it today during a phone call and the phone shut off 4 times.  When I disconnected it and talked directly into the phone, it did not shut off.

iSAW
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

I spoke too soon about my phone not shutting off in awhile.  It just shut off again.  As for the ringtone theory, I believe that Fido or whoever fixes the phones believes this theory.  I had an audio file from my old phone that I had transferred to my Gossip and just realized a few days ago that it was missing.  So I believe that when I sent it in to be fixed they deleted it.  I guess it is something we are just going to have to live with.

louielouis

Man I sent these texts ages ago and they still haven't gone through. Is this just a Fido-based thing or is it just my phone?

TR
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I can send and receive texts and have no problems with it. Sometimes if I am in a place with bad reception or no reception, it stays in the outbox and then when I am in a place with good reception it sends it, but sometimes it stays in the outbox for  a really long time, at which point I cancel it and then resend it and then it goes. So maybe check your reception bars

iSAW
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

I do not think that it has anything to do with Fido.  It definitely seems like it is your phone.  As to how to resolve the issue, I do not have a solution for you.  I had the shutting off issue also and sent it in and it came back and shut off a couple more times.  I have not had any recent shut offs though.