MMS, LTE, and APN problems

I'm a Contributor Level 1 cbsewell
I'm a Contributor Level 1

MMS, LTE, and APN problems

I purchased a new unlocked android phone and transferred my SIM card to it from my old phone to it. The new phone is an upgraded model of the old and supports all the same bands as the old one.  However, I am having problems getting on the LTE network, which my new phone definitely supports.  The APN list is completely different than what it was on my previous phone and I have no idea how to change it.  I can manually select the ltemobile.apn to force 4G, but then I cannot send or receive MMS messages, and the phone switches back to 3G to make phone calls.

Here is what the APN list looked like when my SIM card was in the old phone. Everything worked fine.

Screenshot_20190102-071606.png

Here is what the APN list looks like when I put the SIM card in the new phone:

Screenshot_20190102-072031.png

This is Oreo 8.1 so I can't edit, add, or change any of the APNs.

Now when I had my SIM card in the original phone, it didn't start out looking like the first APN list. It looked like the APN list in the new phone, and I had exactly the same problem. But I don't know when it changed to the new list of APN's or what I did to get it to change.  Is this something that changes on it's own eventually or is there something I can do to speed up the process?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 23
MVP
MVP

Re: MMS, LTE, and APN problems

Hello again,

@cbsewell wrote:

My understanding of a BYOP plan is that you are using your own unlocked phone not purchased from the carrier. But I guess you are pointing out you can purchase an unlocked phone from the carrier outright without being on a subsidized plan.

A Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan is one where you are using your own unlocked phone. Yes, some people purchase their phones outright from the carriers. In addition, once a subsidised plan contract has ended, the associated phone with that plan is also yours to own. Many people do not get new phones every two years (ie current contract length). Some of those people choose to stay with their subsidised plans while others may choose to switch to a BYOP plan.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 23

FIDO sent me a new LTE multiSIM which I have activated with no change in the APN list. I'm still stuck on Fido ISP GPRS (fido-core-app1.apn) which has the MMS/MMSC info filled out. There is a  fido internet (ltemobile.apn) also, but has no  MMS/MMSC info filled in. So if I select that APN I'm on the 4G network, but I can't send or receive MMSC messages.

I can't get a straight answer from anyone about where these APN's come from and why the information isn't filled out correctly. Do they come from FIDO? Then why is the information incorrect?  Do they come from a database pre-installed on the phone by the manufacturer, and selected by the MCC and MNC on the SIM card? If so, then where did that info come from? FIDO? Why is it incorrect? And since google has decided under pressure from carriers not to allow APN editing in Oreo, who do I go to to get this fixed?  FIDO? The phone manufacturer?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 23

Hey @cbsewell,

Sending a new SIM would be one of the available workaround. Have you had the chance to troubleshoot your issue with our agents as well?

As mentioned previously, we can send you a PM here to get started. We'd be happy to take a closer look at your account and ensure that all the options and features are enabled on your line, then slowly narrow it down while we attempt to find a solution.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 23

The new SIM didn't make any difference; every APN as is it was before. Certainly that would be great if you could send me a PM to help get me on to the 4G service.  Although my phone was not purchased from FIDO, it is capable of all the latest 4G and LTE features. I have talked to first level support, who were the ones that provided me with a new SIM, and technical support, who were somewhat reluctant since my phone is not a FIDO branded phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 23

Thanks for confirming! 

We'll be sending you a PM here in just a moment to check it out. 

Chat soon! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 23
I'm a Contributor Level 1 jpcaron

Even if you put all the APN settings your phone is not a fido one and no matter what happen you will not have an IMS registration.

They make it so they still sell their own phone since CRTC removed the Locked carrier things they still lock you out some Features Like Wifi Calling and VoLTE which is standard in 2019

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 23

I don't mind not having VoLTE or WiFi calling, but I hate having a 4G phone and being stuck on the 3G network because of incorrect APN settings that I can't change. FIDO can't help me. The company that made the phone can't help me. Nobody wants to take responsibility. Maybe its time to switch cell providers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 23

I've discovered the problem. The APNs loaded on the phone come from the /system/etc/apns-conf.xml file and are loaded based on the mcc and mnc from the SIM card. The phone manufacturer has loaded an old or incomplete apns-conf.xml file that is missing the MMS field settings in the ltemobile.apn APN. You cannot edit this file without rooting your phone.  While some carriers can push an APN to your phone over the network, FIDO cannot. Or so they tell me. The next step to investigate is why the APN settings are locked on the phone. Is it because the phone manufacturer has locked them in the android software, or is there a setting on the SIM card that locks them. None of the "tricks" found on the internet I've found will unlock the APN settings so far.

So there are a couple of choices to solve the problem:

1) Root the phone if possible and edit the apns-conf.xml to add the correct MMS settings to ltemobile.apn.

2) Go to the phone manufacturer and ask them to provide an updated apns-conf.xml file with the correct settings through an OTA or sideloaded update.

3) Find out why the APN settings are locked and possibly unlock them so you can edit the incorrect APN yourself.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 8 in conversation