cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liquid e camera quality

crunchie
I'm a contributor level 1

The pictures that my liquid e takes are very very dark.  Even outside in full light they are quite dark. Inside they are not even worth taking.  Is this normal for the LE?  I know from reading reviews that the camera is not very good so I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

ViperZeroOne
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

I'm basically going to reiterate what Dave has already said;

The fact that the Acer has a 5MP camera is a great thing, but of course, as with any no-flash camera, images in the dark are going to be pretty hard to capture.  To help shoot in darker environments you can adjust the ISO to be more sensative, and some camera apps will also allow somewhat artificial night-modes.

Still, if you want to night-shoot, you should really use an actual camera.  No cell phone will really handle that situation well.  As for day shots, I love my Acer.  Smiley

--------------------

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

crunchie

Thanks for all the responses peeps, but it wasn't a setting problem I was asking about.  I know there is no flash, I did adjust the iso setting etc. What I was wondering if my phone had a hardware defect.

I compared some pictures taken in the same light/conditions with my friends iphone and iphone4 and in both cases in low light their photos had some detail where mine had none.

Even in bright daylight the pictures were a little on the dark side.  Color saturation was great but the shadow areas were quite dark.

I never expected great photos from a phone but these I thought were below par for a 5mp camera.  It wasn't meant to replace my regular camera anyway. When I posted I was still within my 15 days to return.  I decided to keep it because other than the camera I was quite happy with it.  Glad to be off the Apple train.

Guess I should have been a little more specific in my original post.  But thanks for all the suggestions/help anyway.

dave99
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

You're right, the Acer's camera sucks,  but it's not much worse than a lot of cell phones.  The iPhone 4's camera is pretty much the best you can get in a phone.

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
I disagree that the iPhone 4's camera is "the best" you can get on a phone. Especially that it adds a blue tint in the center of your pictures (Don't believe me? Try taking a picture of a white sheet of paper to test).

To return to the topic at hand, did you try comparing your pictures to pictures taken with another Acer Liquid E?

Also, another thing you could try if you really think there is a problem with the phone, then you could always try a memory wipe. It may help.

wkh
I'm a contributor level 2

Exactly Crunchie, I don't think people are realizing how horrible the camera really is. Unless you're in broad pure no cloud whatsoever daylight outdoors, it's nothing but dark barely discernible blobs. I've had camera phones circa LG 2005 that took better pictures. This is positively dreadful and makes the camera quite useless. I have a Canon Rebel so I don't need the camera to replace anything but it's unusable except again in broad direct sunlight and that's quite shocking for the year 2010.

wkh
Totally agree. I keep looking for a flash or night mode and not happening. 😕

dave99
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

You're not going to find a flash option,  since the phone doesn't physically have one.

The only thing you can really do is change the ISO sensitivity to a higher number.  When you open the camera app,  press the first icon and then scroll down past the anti-flicker and focus mode settings.

No cell-phone camera is going to be sensitive enough for night shots without a flash.  Even a brightly lit office is a pretty low-light environment as far as cameras are concerned.

cccatch
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

have to agree that for a 5 mp camera, not too good. but maybe you can adjust some of the settings?