In order to display the date on the main screen, you have to:
1) At the main screen click "OK" to go to the menu page.
2) Select "Settings"
3) Once in "Settings" select "Screen"
4) Then select "Screen Theme"
5) Then select "Homescreen"
6) Then select "My Wallpaper"
7) Then scroll down to display items. It will more than likely say "Do not show".
😎 To get the date and the time, just press left or right on the keypad surrounding the "OK" button until "Clock" is displayed. (You also have other options such as adding a weekly or monthly calender as well and a few others.)
9) Once "Clock" is displayed in the message box the date and time will be on the main screen. To my knowledge, there is no way to get just the date so you are more than likely going to end up with the time twice on your screen.
Not too sure about the internet situation. I face the same problem. I think it might be the fact that the LG Gossip is not an actual smartphone and therefore uses mobile internet and can only access sites that are mobile internet compatible. I may be wrong, but that is just my interpretation of the situation.