cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I spend $550 with a Monthly plan to buy a Galaxy S3, is that locked?

CJH
I'm a participant level 2

***Edited to add labels***

12 REPLIES 12

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
If you buy if from Fido, yes it will be locked.

dfkls
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Yeah, but you can get it unlocked for $50, since it would be fully paid off.

gfunkdub

I read somewhere that you can have Fido unlock it for you before sending it or I suppose done in-store.  Is that the $50 service you were referring to, or do you go somewhere 3rd party to get it done?  I have had it done abroad before but would rather Fido do it so it isn't as iffy.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@gfunkdub wrote:

I read somewhere that you can have Fido unlock it for you before sending it or I suppose done in-store.  Is that the $50 service you were referring to, or do you go somewhere 3rd party to get it done?  I have had it done abroad before but would rather Fido do it so it isn't as iffy.

Sending it where?

Fido doesn't unlock in their stores. You call in and request the unlock from customer service. They charge you $50 if you meet the eligibility requirements for their unlock.

gfunkdub

Before they send it to you new from their warehouse.

What are their eligibility requirements?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@gfunkdub wrote:

They won't unlock it before sending it to you. If you want that, buy it from Apple.

Eligibility requirements for unlock (might be out of date)

1. No contract obligations connected to the phone. That means you either pay full price for the phone, pay the termination of the contract under which you bought the phone, wait until the contract expires or upgrade to a new phone and the old one becomes clear of obligations. If you buy it for full price from Fido, you would have to wait 30 days.
  2. Your account must be in good standing, meaning no past due bills
  3. pay $50 + taxes for the unlock

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@10yearfido wrote:

@gfunkdub wrote:

They won't unlock it before sending it to you. If you want that, buy it from Apple.

Eligibility requirements for unlock (might be out of date)

1. No contract obligations connected to the phone. That means you either pay full price for the phone, pay the termination of the contract under which you bought the phone, wait until the contract expires or upgrade to a new phone and the old one becomes clear of obligations. If you buy it for full price from Fido, you would have to wait 30 days.
  2. Your account must be in good standing, meaning no past due bills
  3. pay $50 + taxes for the unlock

Thanks for the help 10yearfido! Slight update actually with regards to these rules; we no longer require 30 days if the phone was purchased at full price. It just needs to be or have been active in the equipment history on the phone number. 

jonnybearback

"They won't unlock it before sending it to you. If you want that, buy it from Apple."

Dont think Apple and Samsung get on quite that well!

/pedant

@jonnybearback wrote:

"They won't unlock it before sending it to you. If you want that, buy it from Apple."

Dont think Apple and Samsung get on quite that well!

/pedant

heh, didn't realize I did that. Most threads here asking about unlocks are asking about iPhones, so I guess it was just habit...or a nefarious scheme on my part to convert people to iPhones.... Wink

Hey Everyone! 

I know this post is a bit old but I just saw this thread and I thought I'd provide some updated information about the unlocking procedure in case anyone else were to come across this. :smileyhappy:

- Now, to unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:

• If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
    • If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
    • If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.

- A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.

- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.

- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.

- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.

I would also like to point out that the unlock can be requested in store but you can also reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter to request to have your phone unlocked. 

I hope this helps! 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

This might be a good time to revisit the unlocking policy itself. The current policy doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. It only serves to confuse customers and create bad will. Why not allow unlocks during the contract? The contract remains in place, so Fido doesn't lose anything and they will make the customers that want an unlock happy and Fido gets $50. The only thing declining an unlock does is upset customers and maybe encourages them to roam when they travel. But those that will pay roaming fees will pay them anyway and those looking to avoid roaming my unlocking are going to avoid roaming anyway, they will just give money to someone else for a phone they can use. So why reject the unlocks to begin with? Makes no sense at all.

CJH
Thank you!