cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 8 price on FIDO is horrible

Oski
I'm a participant level 3

Why is it the iPhone 8 plus 256 is $200 more on a 2 year FIDO plan vs Rogers their parent company?

Seems ludicrous. 

*** Edited to add labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Oski,

Welcome to the community!

When comparing the cost of devices from different providers, you need to consider the total cost of the device. Rogers can sometimes offer lower upfront costs because their plans cost more. That is, they incorporate more subsidy. If you pay more upfront, your monthly costs are less. On the other hand, if you pay less upfront, your monthly costs are greater.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Oski

I have and my question still stands. Moreover, even if FIDO’s plans were so much better (they are not) from a marketing perspective it’s suicide.  Consumers won’t by in large look past the ballooned value of the iPhone 8 offered from FIDO to investigate potential overall savings. 

For this to work FIDOs plans would need to be $16 cheaper per month for equivalent plans from their competitors. And that would just put them on equal footing. 

@Oski wrote:

... Consumers won’t by in large look past the ballooned value of the iPhone 8 offered from FIDO to investigate potential overall savings. ...

Hello again,

You don't give consumers enough credit. Smart consumers do (or at least should) evaluate total costs.

You mentioned Rogers initially. The difference of $200 in upfront price you noted is with Rogers' Premium+ Tab vs Fido's Large subsidy plans. At least in Ontario, the only directly comparable plans are the 3Gb plans with unlimited Canada-wide calling. The price difference between those plans is $15. Over the course of 2 years, Rogers' plan would cost $360 more....

In this case, how is it that Rogers is cheaper?

Comparing the other plans is not as simple since they have differing amounts of data...

**edit** Did you also happen to notice that Bell is offering that phone with two different subsidy options? One of them has the same upfront cost as Rogers and the other has the same upfront cost as Fido!**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Oski

Actually I fact checked your statement. The FIDO pulse large 3GB plan is $90 a month. Whereas the equivalent plan on Rogers is $85

Premium+tab. Unlimited everything. 

So yah ..with the phone that’s $320 savings with Rogers over the term. 

Further to to that point I would not want a 3GB plan I currently on a loyalty 10gb plan with FIDO. My wife also has the same plan. We are spending $200+ a month. 

I just noticed that Rogers has shareable data plans (FIDO does not..at least not at our level). 

Rogers 20GB shareable with everything unlimited is $10 cheaper a month each. And for our troubles we still would need to pay $200 more for the phones  lol it’s a joke. Bad plan and marketing. See yah FIDO. 

bettyfrn

Man your really making me want to do my research on the competition. Knowing that I could be saving more with their parent compagnie makes me feel less bad if I was to switch.

thanks for all the I for information @Oski

Hello Bettyfrn,

I really do encourage you to do your research! As mentioned above, smart consumers should do the math.

I asked Oski in which Province they resided because their numbers are nowhere to be found. Smart consumers should also use a little common sense. Rogers' No Tab or BYOP plan for the same 3Gb and unlimited Canada-wide calling is $80. If the numbers provide by Oski were correct, that would suggest the subsidy is only five dollars bringing the total cost of the phone over 2 years to be $669. That's just over half of the phone's retail cost. That's right, half! Does that even sound remotely plausible?? No company, be it a mobile provider or direct from the manufacturer, is going to offer a newly released device for half of its retail cost.

So yes, do your research. Compare everything. When you do compare, just make sure you're comparing similar options.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Nothing has changed  iPhone 8 plus 64gig on a Rogers contract is $129. Wanna guess what Fido wants upfront? Try $559. I'm not sure where these discrepancies originate but I'd never in a million years pay $430 extra up front.

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Proac

Our plans are generally less expensive than Rogers' so our phones are sometimes a bit more expensive.  Our promos change very often though, so I'd suggest you keep an eye on our website to make sure you don't miss anything! Smiley

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Well there's a little more expensive and then there's $559 vs $129.....that's much more than a little if you ask me lol 

Hello Proac,

@Proac wrote:

Well there's a little more expensive and then there's $559 vs $129.....that's much more than a little if you ask me lol 

Are you sure you're comparing similar offerings? At least in Ontario, the prices you seem to quote are for Fido's Large Plan comparing with Rogers' Premium+ Tab. If you compare similar subsidy plans (ie Large with Premium; Extra Large with Premium+), the difference between the two providers is less than you suggest.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hello again,

In which Province are you located? I understand there may be some Provincial differences. However, I just went through all of Rogers' Provincial plans (again) and have not found a Premium+ Tab 3Gb with Unlimited Canada-wide calling for less than $105. There are some Smart Tab plans for the amount you noted, but not Premium+ Tabs.

I understand you might not be interested in a 3Gb plan. However, the plan was the most readily comparable.

Of course you're free to choose a mobile provider and plan which suits your needs. My point was that Fido's upfront cost (and total cost) is not out of league with the other mobile providers as you suggest.

Cheers

@Oski you also have to take into consideration the service the other providers offer, different providers offer different incentive to attract customers some don't have LTE some do not have good reception.

In the end as the consumer you have the choice of which provider you want to go with.

Oski

All due respect here your point is mute. The two major competitors who are also the market share leaders in this space are cheaper.

Bell and Rogers have equal too or better than services and range. If the offer was from Wind mobile or some other such carrier I would see you point as valid. However when the industry leaders (one being a parent company) are $200 cheaper FIDO puts itself in a peculiar position.  

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Oski,

You can't just look at the upfront cost of the phone.

You need to look at what you will be paying overall during the 2yr term, meaning the upfront cost of the phone and the montly plan fee to see which provider is actually cheaper.

montly plan fee x 24 months + upfront cost of the phone = the overall cost