cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not use VPN via LTE anymore

MonetE419
I'm a participant level 3

I recently couldn't use my VPN service, but under WiFi everything was fine. I don't know what happened. Can someone help me solve this problem?

And every time I walk a certain distance, there's a reconnection of the LTE. When I take a bus, there's almost no network, and I'm always waiting to get the LTE back.

9 REPLIES 9

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MonetE419,

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like you're referring to two issues? i) VPN; ii) connecting to LTE. Is that correct?

With regards to the VPN, have you had a chance to view the thread mentioned by FidoKenny above? Are you using iOS or android? If android, you might consider trying to switch to the TCP protocol.

With regards to connecting to LTE, does your phone connect to the '3G' network when it's not connected to LTE? If so, are you able to use data on that network? Coverage for any of the networks depends on a number of factors (ie location relative to cellular towers, bands/frequencies available at those towers, potential sources of interference, etc). You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here. Are there any locations where your LTE remains connected?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MonetE419

Hello Cawtau,

When I reconnected, there was no 3G logo, there was nothing there, I don't think there is any signal coverage  problem here. And I live in the downtown, this problem is occur recently.

Thank you,

Hello again,

@MonetE419 wrote:

When I reconnected, there was no 3G logo, there was nothing there, I don't think there is any signal coverage  problem here. And I live in the downtown, this problem is occur recently....

When you reconnect, are you able to use other services like making/recieving voice calls or sending/recieving messages? Have you tried to disable LTE to see if that provides a stable connection? What happens if you disable your VPN? Have you tried to reset your network settings?

If the problem only appeared recently, have you noticed any new building structures between your location and the cellular towers?

With regards to VPN, I was able to use my VPN service on the mobile networks by switching the protocol to TCP. However, I'm not sure if that is an option for iOS users. I see that FidoKija has sent you a PM in the other thread. Hopefully, she'll be able to help in this regard.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MonetE419

Turning off and then turning back on LTE has no effect, I have tried this many times. I'm not sure I can receive text messages or calls in that situation. Sometimes the phone goes into no service for a second and then resumes immediately.I think it is a very strange problem that occasionally affects my use.

FidoKenny

Hey @Cawtau.

What you are talking about would be about the Fido Public IP Addresses which is $5 per month.

At the same time, was thinking that @MonetE419 's issue might be related to what's on this thread here.

You can let the Community know.

MonetE419

Hey there,

I think I may have the same problem, could you help me?

Thank you,

Hello again,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I searched again and found the thread I was thinking about (see here). You are correct, the post was referring to a routable public IP address. After re-reading the thread, I realised my VPN was also connecting via OpenVPN - without success. Once I switched to TCP, everything seems to work properly as well. I'm not that familiar with the differences between the protocols, but at least my VPN now works via the networks Happy

Thanks FidoKenny! Smiley

Cheers

FidoKenny

Hey @MonetE419

This doesn't sound right. Did you get a chance to do a restore of your phone first to see if can get a better result?

Also, are you getting any error message when you try to connect your VPN?

@Community : Anyone having the same type of issue with his Iphone or Android device?

Hello FidoKenny,

If I remember correctly, there was a monthly fee to use data over a VPN. Is that still the case? I can't use my VPN when connected to the networks but I just assumed it was because I don't pay for the service...

Cheers