cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot keeps dropping connections

Windstang
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Recently I changed from a Bell data only plan to Fido. All was good with Bell for years using a cell phone as a hotspot to monitor a remote location with a thermostat, some cameras and a few wifi switches. Nice to log in and have a look and monitor/change the temperature. However now with Fido, I keep losing the connection - either the devices say "no internet connection" or "no wifi". When I go to the site (my cabin) and check the settings, everything appears normal and I can re-establish the connection by something as simple as unplugging and plugging back in or rebooting the phone. I have tried programming one of the remote switches to automatically turn the power to the phone charger off for a minute then back on - every 6 hours but recently that has stopped working too. Does anyone else have this 'dropped comms' problem or something similar? I'm guessing that if the signal gets weak the comms stop and don't restart until the phone is awakened. Never had this problem with Bell. I have 2 phones that I have tried - an iPhone 5 (but that is limited to only 3 to 5 hotspot connections which is limiting) and an Android (RCA) phone. Seems to be something with Fido I think but would like some comments. I hope I don't have to revert to Bell (1GB for $25/month versus Fido 4GB for $10 and Bell wouldn't match)

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Windstang,

Welcome to the community!

What is the signal strength your devices are getting at that location? It sounds like that remote location might be on the edge of Fido/Rogers coverage. While the different providers might have similar coverages, some areas might be better covered by a particular provider. That is not to say that any one provider's coverage is better than the other. It all depends on an individual's specific circumstances. No provider will suit everyone everywhere. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

You should also note that the 4GB for $10 is technically Fido's Tablet plan. As far as I am aware, Fido was closing loopholes regarding that plan and started to limit usage of that plan to tablets (see here). If you require a data-only (Data & Text) plan for use with a smartphone, Fido now has those options.

**edit** Fido also offers that plan for their Hotspots. However, its usage would likely also be limited to actual hotspot devices rather than smartphones.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers