Fido gsm/gprs network

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Fido gsm/gprs network

Since Rogers is decomissioning their entire GSM/GPRS network by December 31, 2020, will Fido do the same as they're on the same network?

I really don't want to upgrade my phone.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido gsm/gprs network

Hello Jkparent,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, once the 2G GSM network is officially decommissioned, all devices which are GSM-only will not work for calls and/or messages anymore. As mentioned above, it appeared that the GSM network was to be decommissioned in 2018. I suspect they delayed the shut-down because there were many devices which still needed that network. However, with more and more smartdevices requiring access to the internet, they need to refarm those bands/frequencies to the LTE network (Bell and Telus have already refarmed their 2G (CDMA) bands/frequencies).

I understand not wanting to purchase a smartphone for a young child. There should be other child safety devices which operate on the '3G' or UMTS (WCDMA) available. You should note that LTE-only devices won't likely work for calling as they probably won't have access to voLTE.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Af4987 wrote:

Since Rogers is decomissioning their entire GSM/GPRS network by December 31, 2020, will Fido do the same as they're on the same network?

I really don't want to upgrade my phone.

Hi Af4987,

Fido does not have their own Cellular network.  Fido is a cellphone brand that uses the Rogers Cellphone network which Rogers also happens to be Fido's parent company so what ever Rogers does, Fido is affected.  Since Rogers is decomissioning their GSM network, Fido will not be able to have access to this network once its decomissioned, but thats not a bad thing, they still have access to the 3G and 4G netoworks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Af4987,

As mentioned above, Fido no longer operates a separate network. Since being acquired by Rogers (circa 2004), they now share their networks. Both Fido and Rogers customers can access and use all the towers of either network.

So it's Fido/Rogers who's decommissioning the GSM network. I understand there are some customers who might still rely on that network. However, the majority of customers do not use GPRS anymore. It is simply too slow to be useful in today's high data society. To stay competitive with the other main providers, they need to re-farm the GSM frequencies to the LTE network as additional aggregation bands.

Unfortunately, that means you will have to upgrade a GSM-only phone before they decommission the network entirely. Once the sunset occurs, there will no longer be any nationwide GSM provider. I recently upgraded my mother's phone because there were rumours the GSM sunset was to occur in 2018. If you are adverse to smartphones, there are some non-smartphones which would allow you to use the UMTS (WCDMA) network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

What will happen to child safety devices that use the GPRS service (ex Lil Tracker)? I don't want to buy my 4 year old a smartphone but was going to get her a gps watch with 2 way calling, for safety. Are they no longer functional after December?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello Jkparent,

Unfortunately, once the 2G GSM network is officially decommissioned, all devices which are GSM-only will not work for calls and/or messages anymore. As mentioned above, it appeared that the GSM network was to be decommissioned in 2018. I suspect they delayed the shut-down because there were many devices which still needed that network. However, with more and more smartdevices requiring access to the internet, they need to refarm those bands/frequencies to the LTE network (Bell and Telus have already refarmed their 2G (CDMA) bands/frequencies).

I understand not wanting to purchase a smartphone for a young child. There should be other child safety devices which operate on the '3G' or UMTS (WCDMA) available. You should note that LTE-only devices won't likely work for calling as they probably won't have access to voLTE.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5