Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

I'm a Participant Level 3 quenting96
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

Hi,

I've just got a Fido Pulse plan recently, bringing my own device, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 purchased directly from Samsung. I chose Fido mainly because of VoLTE and Wifi Calling. I installed the lastest Fido firmware on my phone to make sure there is no compatibility problem with the network. The CSC code of my phone (in the settings menu) is FMC, which is the Fido one. VoLTE and Wifi Calling options are present in the settings.

When I enable VoLTE, calls still fall back on the HSPA+ network. For the Wifi Calling, when I click the link to configure the address, I receive the verification code but it tells my phone seems incompatible and to contact the Fido support.

Fido/Rogers, this is a real shame. My phone is indistinguishable from a Fido one and is fully compatible. Well, the only difference is that you didn't get the money...

It doesn't work because you don't allow non-Fido purchased phone based on their IMEI to register on these networks, for no reason. Some people had luck and customer support were able to add their IMEI in the database to get it work, but a lot, including me, don't. I had this luck with an unlocked iPhone 6 with Rogers (after "fighting" with the customer support for over 2 weeks), but this time, it's been a while I ask them but they say they're unable to do it, that the technical support will call me back in 24h-48h but they never call back or that they're unable to join them. There is no technical problem here, it is just an anti-consumer practice.

So I post this here for everyone to see and for people who might consider to bring their device to Fido to be warned about this (even though there are a lot of other post about this), and for you to see their real face, they're just greedy. To get $50+ for a few Gb isn't enough, they want you to buy the same phone you have from them.

And maybe a representent from Fido can help me to get the technical support to contact me to fix this problem before I give up?

What you, Fido/Rogers, seem to forget, is that people who bring their own devices do not have any contract, they can leave whenever they want. And as the CRTC ban the anti-consumer practice of locking cellphones and unlocking fees, people will be able to move between carriers freely, and it will be a real mess for you.

We are a lot in that case, you're going to lose a lot of clients. And don't forget you're not only in competition with other carriers but also with all VOIP services we have now, from Whatsapp to VOIP.ms

P.S. VoLTE and Wifi calling are no more "future technologies", they are today's technologies. LTE is the main network now, almost everybody use it, and you still prevent us to call on this network. As for Wifi Calling, it is important for people who live in basement or in the country side with a poor network quality. It also relieve the towers as there will be less network trafic.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

Thanks for your feedback @quenting96 . I hear where you are coming from, a lot of our users have unlocked phones and would like to benefit from this feature and it's definitely feedback that I'll be forwarding. 

At this moment unless the device was directly purchased from Fido it's not possible to make this happen, it is however possible with iPhones as you pointed out.  I know this is not new information to you and it definitely looks like you tried to do everything on your end to make it work. 

As I said for now I'll forward your feedback and if anything changes I'll be happy to let you know!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

first backup all your stuff, via samsung backup or google backup. 

then remove your sd card (in case of crash on your sd card), 

goto the fido store, get an brand new sim card, it worked for me as my s9+ was setup as an defaulted non branded phone from samsung store in canada (west edmonton mall), 

the sales person first booted my mobile with an Hong Kong sim card to avoid Fido bloatware. 

the fido sales guy, placed an new simcard, and changed my apn to match the Fido system. 

after reboot, all good to go. wifi calling and volte too. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 71 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

i would first get an new sim card from Fido store, have the sales dude, setup and match up your mobile phone settings to match the apn as well. then try to setup wifi calling, register your mobile number, enter your name and address for 911, enable the VoLTE and call someone whom has VoLTE phone. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 72 of 105
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

my mobile was purchased at the samsung store at west edmonton mall,  simfree (no brand, no contract), it was setup first boot up with an Hong Kong Simcard. that is why it did not work the first time. an new sim card at Fido store should be good to go. also calling Fido to register the imei will not be bad idea too. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 73 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

all i got was new sim card at Fido store, reset apn setting, reboot, should be good to go. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 74 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 2 BrianJM
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@patrickchan To be honest, none of what you are saying makes any sense to me.  Why do I need a new SIM when I already have a Fido SIM?  What's a new Fido SIM going to do that the Fido SIM that I currently have doesn't?

And what does a "Hong Kong SIM" have to do with any of this?

And I don't know why you need to post 4 separate messages in a row.  Why not just say everything you need to say in one message?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 75 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 2 danthemanx

@BrianJM wrote:

@patrickchan To be honest, none of what you are saying makes any sense to me.  Why do I need a new SIM when I already have a Fido SIM?  What's a new Fido SIM going to do that the Fido SIM that I currently have doesn't?

And what does a "Hong Kong SIM" have to do with any of this?

And I don't know why you need to post 4 separate messages in a row.  Why not just say everything you need to say in one message?

Haha. Yeah with all due respect, forget what patrickchan is saying.

Why would we replace our LTE sim cards with a brand new LTE sim card from Fido? Makes no sense.

Also, I have seen my unlocked phone and sim card working with VoLTE and Wifi calling.

The proof? Just put your sim in a Fido-purchased phone, wait a bit, then place it back in your unlocked phone, these services will be provisioned temporarily then deprovisioned.

I totally agree with quenting96's last message. This really sucks, what's the point of BYOD plans in Canada if you're forced to purchase the phone from a specific carrier or else you don't get IMS Services (VoLTE/Wifi Calling). Especially when our **bleep** phone is the CANADIAN variant, not an international unlocked variant or anything. When you buy the device from BestBuy or somewhere else in Canada, you get the Canadian variant which is identical in every way to the phone purchased directly from the carrier.

My S9 is the SM-G960W.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 76 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

danthemanx    it seem that some provider doesn"t care about this...have called one and he told me that i would have volte/wifi calling/video call right away..he toldm me that only a canadians variant sm-g960/5 w in our case is needed...going to check this fact over the next week-end...and if its really the case...then fido/rogers just gonna lost another subscriber.....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 77 of 105

Hey Zxaz,

I assure you that your feedback has been noted. That being said, non-Fido Android devices are currently not supported for Wi-Fi calling from our end.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 78 of 105
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

the hong kong sim card was used for the 1st boot up of the s9+ at the west edmonton mall samsung store, to avoid the Fido bloatware to be installed into the s9+.

i had an old 'lte' fido nano sim card (at least 2 years old), the Fido store at west edmonton mall gave me an new Fido nano sim card, and reset my apn settings from 'proxy mmsfido.com' to 'MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13. and after reboot it works,

as long as ur samsung is purchased in canada. it should work.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 79 of 105
I'm a Contributor Level 2 BrianJM

@FidoSaad wrote:

Hey Zxaz,

I assure you that your feedback has been noted. That being said, non-Fido Android devices are currently not supported for Wi-Fi calling from our end.

So you (all) keep saying. What you repeatedly won't say is why. You only leave us to surmise that this is just yet another Canadian mobile telco oligopoly lock-in tactic to sell phones. As much as you incumbent providers hate to hear about wholesale-MVNOs, this is the ONLY to your predatory tactics.

@FidoSaad

Let us know if you have any questions. 

How about answering the above question about why Fido are locking our BYODs from all but the most bare of phone functionality. Are phone sales really that profitable that you will have potential customers not come to (or leave) Fido just because you didn't get to sell the phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 80 of 105