Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido block VoLTE and Wifi Calling by blacklisting IMEI

quenting96
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I've just got a Fido Pulse plan recently, bringing my own device, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 purchased directly from Samsung. I chose Fido mainly because of VoLTE and Wifi Calling. I installed the lastest Fido firmware on my phone to make sure there is no compatibility problem with the network. The CSC code of my phone (in the settings menu) is FMC, which is the Fido one. VoLTE and Wifi Calling options are present in the settings.

When I enable VoLTE, calls still fall back on the HSPA+ network. For the Wifi Calling, when I click the link to configure the address, I receive the verification code but it tells my phone seems incompatible and to contact the Fido support.

Fido/Rogers, this is a real shame. My phone is indistinguishable from a Fido one and is fully compatible. Well, the only difference is that you didn't get the money...

It doesn't work because you don't allow non-Fido purchased phone based on their IMEI to register on these networks, for no reason. Some people had luck and customer support were able to add their IMEI in the database to get it work, but a lot, including me, don't. I had this luck with an unlocked iPhone 6 with Rogers (after "fighting" with the customer support for over 2 weeks), but this time, it's been a while I ask them but they say they're unable to do it, that the technical support will call me back in 24h-48h but they never call back or that they're unable to join them. There is no technical problem here, it is just an anti-consumer practice.

So I post this here for everyone to see and for people who might consider to bring their device to Fido to be warned about this (even though there are a lot of other post about this), and for you to see their real face, they're just greedy. To get $50+ for a few Gb isn't enough, they want you to buy the same phone you have from them.

And maybe a representent from Fido can help me to get the technical support to contact me to fix this problem before I give up?

What you, Fido/Rogers, seem to forget, is that people who bring their own devices do not have any contract, they can leave whenever they want. And as the CRTC ban the anti-consumer practice of locking cellphones and unlocking fees, people will be able to move between carriers freely, and it will be a real mess for you.

We are a lot in that case, you're going to lose a lot of clients. And don't forget you're not only in competition with other carriers but also with all VOIP services we have now, from Whatsapp to VOIP.ms

P.S. VoLTE and Wifi calling are no more "future technologies", they are today's technologies. LTE is the main network now, almost everybody use it, and you still prevent us to call on this network. As for Wifi Calling, it is important for people who live in basement or in the country side with a poor network quality. It also relieve the towers as there will be less network trafic.

104 REPLIES 104

modelcitizen
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

What a shame. I just found this post that has existed for more than a year ago. And Fido/Rogers still not changing what they are doing here.

Membacher
I'm a participant level 1

Still they haven't changed since 2017 August.  They obviously could change this.  My phone works with it when I roam to the States but not on my home network.

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

my s9+ was purchased in samsung store in canada, 1st boot with hong kong sim so csc was up global,

to get mine working, i got new sim, apn settings reset to fido, all good.

divdave

Any updates? Any other way to enable features? 

tundrasnow

I would like to be able to use Wi-Fi Calling on my unlocked LG phone. I live in a rural area and there is no cell phone service where I live! Fido, please allow Wi-Fi Calling on unlocked phones. 

Zxaz
I'm a contributor level 3

you are the consumer..you paid a monthly plan you want wi-fi calling on your phone that i suppose is supported from fido/rogers?

you risk to "beg" for a longg time.....lolll    personally im done with the "beg" thing....i rather made the "change" thing...and have everything i want...we are consumer dont forget..

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi

i also purchased an samsung s9+ at the samsung store in edmonton ab,

1: i used an older nano sim, VoLTE did not work

2: went to Fido store (had an rookie sales lady assisted me, was told to goto samsung store it was their fault)

3: samsung store had also an rookie tech lady, i was told that it was Fido fault

4: went home, googled about the isse, and reset the setting via reset main settings CSC code to Fido (orginal setting CSC code was to international , as i used an Hong Kong sim to bootup to avoid Fido software bloatware)

5: again it did work, reset again back to international setting CSC code.

6: went back to Fido store in west edmonton mall , an Chinese salesman assisted me, he changed the sim card to 2018 version, check my apn settings.

7: all good to go, VoLTE worked, as i called my Rogers friend (he could see and hear me), WiFi calling connects to WiFi at home and public areas (better reception).

8: my suggestions is that Rogers needs to make sure that all staff (Fido/Rogers/Chatr) should be better informed .

Zxaz

Patrickchan....i've done everything you have done went to fido...csc code to fmr...new simcard and still no go after......in my case i solved my problem when i switched my provider......didn't have to call....just changed my csc code poped my sim and right after...had everything.....et voila maybe you were lucky...but one thing for sure fido/roger block volte..and all the feature.....

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

this is weird as in canada we need more carriers from international areas. that can handle different mobile phone  companies and not "block" non retail units. 

BrianJM
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

So this whole "CSC code" business seems to be specific to Samsung.

So what about non-Samsung users and whether they are getting wifi-calling and/or volte?

What does dialing *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and then clicking Phone information show you about volte and wifi calling?

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi all, 

i had the same problem, purchasing samsung s9+ via samsung store in west edmonton mall, 

i tried the *#243203855# and change the csc from "“XAC”, “Canada unbranded"" (as had the sales guy place and Hong Kong nano sim card, so the s9+ boots up without the install of fido software/bloatware), to the fido csc code of  “FMC”, “Fido Mobile branded”. this factory reset my s9+. then i tried again, no VoLte, and no WiFi calling. 

then i restored csc back to the XAC. then i went to the new Fido Store in West Edmonton Mall (that opened across the Santa Maria ship), the nice salesman Ming assisted me with an new Free Fido Simcard.  he also changed my APN settings from 'mmsfidoproxy' to MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13.. after reboot all good to go, I have now VoLte and Wifi Calling (had to register my mobile number to the Fido Wifi emergency system). the West Edmonton Mall samsung store the 'service/sales' ladies have idea what is 'IMS' registration (this allows VoLte and WiFi calling) , one (sales lady) told be this is for dual sim use (lol wrong), the other (service lady) refered the VoLte as 'facetime', and mentioned that no one is using this service. also note that the current plans should have the 'video calling aka VoLte' service with no additional costs while pinging Rogers (and their minions aka Fido) towers

Wickkedd
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

If i buy a rogers note 8 and flash a fido CSC, will wifi calling and VoLTE work? Are Rogers phones on the same whitelist database as fido phones? Thanks

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

should work, just get new sim card. as the note 8 was purchasing in canada via rogers

Hey @Wickkedd!

As with all non-Fido devices, VoLTE and WiFi calling may work, however it's not something we can guarantee.

Let us know if you have any other questions Smiley

danthemanx
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Hi @FidoNick, what do you mean VoLTE and Wifi calling "may work". We all know Fido purposely blocks IMS Services even though the phone is technically compatible and WILL work. You block phones that aren't purchased from Fido.

I challenge anyone to try this:

Place your sim in a phone purchased from Fido, VoLTE/Wifi Calling will work as expected.

Place your sim back into your non-Fido purchased phone, VoLTE/Wifi calling will still work for a couple of minutes at most until the system deprovisions you again.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

i went to the new Fido Store in West Edmonton Mall (that opened across the Santa Maria ship), the nice salesman Ming assisted me with an new Free Fido Simcard.  he also changed my APN settings from 'mmsfidoproxy' to MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13.. after reboot all good to go, I have now VoLte and Wifi Calling (had to register my mobile number to the Fido Wifi emergency system). the West Edmonton Mall samsung store the 'service/sales' ladies have idea what is 'IMS' registration (this allows VoLte and WiFi calling) , one (sales lady) told be this is for dual sim use (lol wrong), the other (service lady) refered the VoLte as 'facetime', and mentioned that no one is using this service. also note that the current plans should have the 'video calling aka VoLte' service with no additional costs while pinging Rogers (and their minions aka Fido) towers

I don't think simply changing the MMS proxy to an IP is the solution to this issue. It didn't work for me and I restarted my device. IMS Status still says Not Registered.

I'm not sure how it worked for you.

@patrickchanwrote:

i went to the new Fido Store in West Edmonton Mall (that opened across the Santa Maria ship), the nice salesman Ming assisted me with an new Free Fido Simcard.  he also changed my APN settings from 'mmsfidoproxy' to MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13.. after reboot all good to go, I have now VoLte and Wifi Calling (had to register my mobile number to the Fido Wifi emergency system). the West Edmonton Mall samsung store the 'service/sales' ladies have idea what is 'IMS' registration (this allows VoLte and WiFi calling) , one (sales lady) told be this is for dual sim use (lol wrong), the other (service lady) refered the VoLte as 'facetime', and mentioned that no one is using this service. also note that the current plans should have the 'video calling aka VoLte' service with no additional costs while pinging Rogers (and their minions aka Fido) towers

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

first backup all your stuff, via samsung backup or google backup. 

then remove your sd card (in case of crash on your sd card), 

goto the fido store, get an brand new sim card, it worked for me as my s9+ was setup as an defaulted non branded phone from samsung store in canada (west edmonton mall), 

the sales person first booted my mobile with an Hong Kong sim card to avoid Fido bloatware. 

the fido sales guy, placed an new simcard, and changed my apn to match the Fido system. 

after reboot, all good to go. wifi calling and volte too. 

Zxaz

patrickchan...it worked for you simply because your phone was a branded rogers....rogers/fido will work without no problem...but for a phone from samsung it wouldn"t have worked...

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi

my mobile was purchased at the samsung store at west edmonton mall,  simfree (no brand, no contract), it was setup first boot up with an Hong Kong Simcard. that is why it did not work the first time. an new sim card at Fido store should be good to go. also calling Fido to register the imei will not be bad idea too.