cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fido support Samsung Focus WP7?

ilounge
I'm a participant level 2

I'm a current prepaid customer that wants to get the Samsung Focus WP7 (loaded with Mango). Fido doesn't offer this phone so I'll need to buy an unlocked phone from another source.

What I'd like to know is will all the phone features work with Fido network?(both phone and data) For instance, will I be able to buy prepaid 1 day data passes for Fido network?

Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

MelissaCamus
I'm a participant level 1

NO. I have a Samsung Focus. Voice and SMS work fine, MMS does NOT work. Data is intermittent- as soon as I reach 50% useage, data stops working. TWICE Fido credited me $25 and re-added data, and both times it worked up until 50% again, then died. Now, fido refuses to reset the data again. So, my data won't work except the odd email comes through. I tried editing the APN with the info Fido gave me, didn't help. Bought TWO new SIM cards, and data worked for about a day on each, then stopped working again. 

Called Samsung, they walked me through some troubleshooting, and they say everything appears fine with the phone settings. 

Called Rogers (where I bought the phone). They said since it's unlocked, they wouldn't do anything. 

I am SO unhappy with the service from Fido- especially since after resetting the data it works flawlessly for 50% useage--- then dies off again. This shows me its not the PHONE, its a FIDO issue. When I took the phone in, two employees tried THEIR sims in my phone, data worked fine. Put my NEW sim back in, worked for about an hour, stopped again. IT seems to be an account issue. It's **bleep** that now Fido says "sorry, shoulda bought a FIDO phone. Nothing we can do again."- ESPECIALLY when there IS something Fido can do- reset my data. 

Anyways... I'm prepaid, and after this month goes by, I'm switching to Telus. At least they're not jerks about unlocked phones- you'd think Fido would say "We want your $80 a month, so we are willing to help you"- but they'd rather lose a customer. Well done, Fido. Not. :<

Shawn432

Agreed. Same problems, same phone, just upgrade to new plan with data and it works 0%. Phone and text work great.

Fido is also loosing my business if they dont sharpen up.

FidoStephane

Hi there ilounge,

In order to operate on Fido's network, a handset must be:

- Running on the GSM (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) technology
- Compatible with the 1900 MHz and 850 MHz frequencies
- SIM unlocked

Please note that if your handset has not been provided to you by Fido, we cannot guarantee that data and text message services will function properly, even if the voice service functions well, nor can we offer support.

ilounge

Thanks for the reply Stephane. From the sounds of it you are saying "maybe" it will work. Is there anyway to find out for certain if data will work? There must be other users of this phone on Fido's network. (especially given its a WP7 phone which is a mainstream OS),

dogbark

Cell phone and Data will work, SMS and MMS will not.  Beleive me I have this phone and can tell you those two features will not work.

ilounge

As I develop apps for windows platform I'll have to hold out until Fido offers a Windows phone (or go with another carrier if they take too long).  Thanks so much for the reply.

assassin316
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Ya i need a win phone too to test my apps. But the Focus should work fine if you get it, i wouldn't worry about it. Rogers offers it. Just unlock it and you'll be fine. I have a coworker that got one from Rogers and paid to get it unlocked.