cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with my children's add-ons and data overages

mmdr9118
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Each of my two (mid-teenage) children have phones/plans with Fido.  I pay for the plans which include a reasonable amount of data (now 10 Gb).  But no matter how I plead or threaten, one (or both) will sometimes "add on" or even request a data overage.   (Adding more data to the plans is futile... they always seek more.)

Over the past three years, I've spoken to Fido reps for hours upon hours trying to find options to prevent my sons from (occasionally) requesting an "add on" or a data overage.  No matter how the Fido reps adjust the plans, my sons find a way around the conditions.  And I'm liable for the cost.

Yes, I know, parenting is the key element here... and we do take this seriously.  It seems to me that the simplest Fido solution to our problem is to enforce an automatic data block the instant the data usage goes beyond the data offered by the plan.  I've been given all sorts of reasons why Fido can't do this.  None of them make sense to me.   And i find it terribly annoying.

I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has a solution to this dilemma (short of blocking various options and even declaring a "lost phone" which we've done before)?

1 REPLY 1

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @mmdr9118,

What you can do is switch to a new in-market-plan that has the data overage protection feature. 

"Once you have used all the data included in your plan, your access to data services will be paused until the end of your current billing cycle. We will send you a text message notifying you when you have used 100% of the data allotment included in your plan with the option to purchase more data"

That's the terms regarding that feature, now I know you can manage who can restore data access under account preferences. I'm not 100% sure if that will stop them from receiving the text notifications to buy more data a moderator here can confirm this. If it does then that would be your best option.

You can get more info regarding the data protection here.

But if you are saying your children are always finding a way around the blocks you try to put in place then as a parent myself I think you need to have a more serious conversation with them. 

I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has a solution to this dilemma (short of blocking various options and even declaring a "lost phone" which we've done before)?

What do you mean by declaring a lost phone?