Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Roaming Worry

KsomotoSan
I'm a participant level 2

Hey everyone.

I just received as a gift a cellphone which is the same model as mine, but unlocked since it was a Videotron (and i'm obviously @ Fido) since my phone (GalaxyQ) started acting up and it would just be a switch from a model to the same.

Thing is, it appears to be impossible to access internet from it. Unless we turn on Data Roaming.
Now, I have an Unlimited Data plan with Fido, and I'm not expert on Data Roaming, but my phone itself warns me when I press Enable Data Roaming "That I could be charged large amounts" (paraphrasing)

Without it though, no internet. Though it works fine on my original phone of the same model, only Fido-based, without Data Roaming.

I am given the choice between Data Packet, Data Roaming, or both. And I don't know what to do because I don't want to be charged mountains of cash for something I just don't know 😕

Help?

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Nighteyes
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

It sounds like since the phone was originally with Videotron it is assuming you are roaming because you are using a different network (Fido).

You should not have to worry though. If you are using a Fido sim card on the Fido network (which you are) then there is no way you will be charged roaming fees.

The warning popping up on your phone can thus be ignored. Most smartphones have a similar warning whenever you enable the data roaming setting.

Both packet data and data roaming will need to be enabled for the data connection to work. Another thing you might need are the Fido mobile internet APN settings, which can be found on this forum or fido.ca. If the internet already seems to be working then you should have no other problems.

KsomotoSan

Thank you Nighteyes that reply was so helpful to me, makes me much more at ease and very reassured to be well informed. Not enough thanks for what I want to express, mate. Smiley

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@ Nighteyes - thanks for the tips!

@ KsomotoSan - One thing I will suggest is to make sure you disable data roaming if ever you leave Canada / our network. If you travel to the USA without disabling data roaming, that's where you can incur substantial data roaming charges.

shawn_on_ca

From what I have learned being at Fido for a short time, the way Fido networks are programmed on the host (Rogers) network, unlocked phones always show that you are roaming, even though you are safely within the coverage of the Fido network. Whereas, with a Fido branded phone, this issue is resolved by a modification in the firmware of the phone, with Unlocked phones you have to enable Data on roaming but have to manually turn data off everytime you leava Canada or you WILL get a shock in the next bill.